Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

07 Sterling Acterra dump truck W/C7 Acer. 47K miles. begins…

Customer Question
07 Sterling Acterra dump truck...
07 Sterling Acterra dump truck W/C7 Acer.
47K miles. begins chugging going up hills.
has done it a couple of times. Changed spin on fuel filter, no help.
Someone added an regular Napa inline filter on a blue plastic fuel line, changed it , then it ran fine for a couple of weeks, and back to the same thing, change the filters, no help
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/8/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Eliminate the Napa inline filter, it may be plugging and restricting the fuel. You do not need it, the regular fuel filter is all it requires.

i actually replaced it with an inline electric lift pump thinking it was starving for fuel.wondering if that line could possibly be a return line, and not the supply line
been looking online for a diagram of the fuel system, but no luck so far
what makes me wonder if its a return line, is that it goes directly to the HEUI pump, and does not go to the spin on filter first

Return line should have no filter, only filters will be on the suction side of the fuel transfer pump. You can have a restriction at the tank outlet, or the first fitting where it enters the filter. I assumed the inline filter was right out of the tank.

does it have a sock or pump in the tank?
3 lines going to the tank, 2 near bottom on the inside, and one goes in top, next to the fuel gauge sensor

Top has to be the return line, one of the bottom has to be the suction line going to the first primary fuel filter.

i assume they are vent, supply and return? but don't know which is which
I've only seen one filter bolted to the side of the motor.
we're looking now

OK>

I see the question is still open.??