Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2005 freightliner M2 106 with Mercedes Mercedes MBE900-210…

Customer Question
2005 freightliner M2 106 with...
2005 freightliner M2 106 with Mercedes Mercedes MBE900-210 6.4L motor. VIN 1FVACWCS95HU17514. Motor S/N 172446. Allison (series 2000?) trans.According to my driver, all within a matter of moments...The TRANS light went on, then it felt like the truck was downshifting. Driver claims he then tried to pull over and truck just stopped moving. PTO would not engage.He further claims that TRANS light had not illuminated previously, and that he has had no issues with it shifting or acting up.He was asked to check the fluid level. He claims it was down slightly, but not low (Allison transmissions will go into limp mode, or at least warn when fluid is too low).He was questioned as to whether the fluid looked brown, or red as it should. Also whether the fluid smelled burnt. He claimed that it was red, and that it did not smell burnt.He also reported that he saw no leaks, cracks in the housing, or anything out of the ordinary with the driveshaft.WHAT COULD IT BE?The spin-on is changed with every oil change. The fluid/pan filter is changed every 50-75k (Alliso-brand TRANSYND)Trans has 150k on it.All other Allisons I own, or have owned, have given me a minimum of 250k, and now (with one) 420k.Please advise
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/8/2018
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 6 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Does this have the push button shifter to where you can see the gear it is in?

Any codes on the dash display coming up when checking the diagnostics?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5 star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

No codes
Column shifter

Wi the column shifter and no codes on the dash, it will need to have the Allison tool connected to see which of the solenoids is acting up. The only time you don't get the codes on the dash is when a solenoid has failed in the transmission or there is a power loss to it. You have power for you have the shift light, which leaves a solenoid issue.

I have seen one of the speed sensors go bad and cause that problem, but 99% of the time they will throw a code on the dash for the failure of reading. The only option, unfortunately, is to connect the Allison program and see which solenoid it is. There are 5 of them in the pan and they are expensive to replace them all so it is way better to scan and replace the bad one. It takes only 30 minutes to replace it after knowing which one it is.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Do you need more time to resolve the issue?