Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My 2013 kenworth t700 is having some cruise Control Issues I…

Customer Question
My 2013 kenworth t700...

My 2013 kenworth t700 is having some cruise Control Issues I set it at 65 it then slowly falls to 60 then picks up to 65 it keeps doing this over and over

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Kenworth t700 2013 Paccar MX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, not sure where to start

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/6/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc. Are there any fault codes logged in the ECM memory? This can be software update related, speed sensor signal related or feedback from a short or alternator problem throwing off the ECM speed sensor signal, etc. It is best monitored with a scan tool connected ( Davies) to watch these parameters in live data. Let me know.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

There are no faults on the dash readout but I haven’t connected it to a scan tool
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Thanks for the update. This can be a sensor or software calibration issue if no fault codes.

Where would that sensor be located?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

There are multiple sensors that come into play.... Engine RPM speed sensor, Transmission output shaft speed sensor for road speed and some pull info from the ABS Wheel speed sensors... but there would normally be a fault code if a sensor fault.... It is best to see in live data with the scan tool connected to see if the speed signals are consistent and if there are any faults logged in history.

I connected to a scan tool, didn’t find any faults, do I have to drive it with the tool connected?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Thanks for the update. Yes i recommend driving and monitoring the speed sensor and throttle position sensor values in live data when this is happening.... If you can record a data stream on a road test to see if TPS, speed sensor, fuel pressure, boost pressure etc fluctuates when this occurs.... Let me know

If it was the tps sensor wouldn’t I have troubles when the cruise is off also,it holds speed fine when I don’t use the cruise
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Is there a remote PTO installed and programmed in?

No pto
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

I recommend monitoring live data as suggested and look for any variations for any of the above I mentioned that could cause these symptoms. Let me know

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson