Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2001 420d wont start, I think the neutral safety is engaged.

Customer Question
2001 420d wont start...

2001 420d wont start, I think the neutral safety is engaged . can I jump/bypass from switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

420 d backhoe/loader - BLN01837

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, got to back of switch, see the 4 wires...

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/5/2018
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Did you need some diagrams on this?

What ever you can give me to start ...
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Click on this link. I took some snapshots for you.

Service info

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

The switch grounds through the ECM on the machine to allow starting.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Check the start relay and wiring as well and verify power to the starter solenoid small S terminal with the switch in the cranking position as ther should be. If so and not cranking over points to a failed starter. If no power then check the wiring, relays, fuses, and power in and out of the IGN switch and the safety switches.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

If you need to view the full diagram let me know and I can post the offer for that as a premium service. Either way we can follow up here as needed.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.