Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I’m getting oil in my coolant. Truck not over heating but…

Customer Question
I’m getting oil in...

I’m getting oil in my coolant. Truck not over heating but low oil pressure light comes on and shuts truck off. I just changed oil with new filter. Putting in the shop tomorrow to change oil cooler. Will bad oil cooler cause my oil pressure to drop and have I done any damage to engine?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2004 isx Cummins 79013254

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Isx 400

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/3/2018
Technician: cumminsdr, Mechanic replied 6 months ago
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

Yes . oil in the coolant and low oil PSI is a common cause of the oil cooler leaking from the internal core. They will replace the oil cooler and perform a coolant system flush with System Restore. Make sure they change the thermostat ad seal as the oil will compromise both/ You still may see oil in the reservoir after repair that is normal and will take many other coolant flushes to get it all out. The oil never really gets out of the system completely. several coolant .Restore flushes will help/ Please don't forget to Rate/Accept my service.

Engine damage it tough to say . It depends on how long you were running with low oil PSI. have them cut open the oil filter and check for metal or bearing debris. Or have a blow by test performed on the engine AFTER repair to check internals of engine Please don't forget to Rate/Accept my service.

Thanks. Do you have an idea of how much something like this would cost to repair?

Depends on the shop HR rate. I charge 150 per hr and with the flushes ,depending on the severity at least 10 hrs labor possible more plus parts like 3500.. bucks give or take.

Hi Just following up, Please don't forget to Rate/Accept my service​