Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Second opinion] housing leaking on my isx. Don’t have serial…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Bell housing...

Second opinion] Bell housing leaking on my isx.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Don’t have serial number but it’s a 2007 isx 565

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had it fixed but mechanic thought of using red silicone now leaking bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is it ok to use silicone or must use gasket

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
1/2/2018
Technician: cumminsdr, Mechanic replied 6 months ago
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
what is the engine serial number
I don’t have the serial number on hand but it’s an 2007 isx 565
Bell housing leaking but I have a bad vibration had everything balanced changed and fixed.new clutch, U-joints to rebalance driveshaft and rims and tires. Narrowed it down to transmission but I have read that injectiors could cause this and another mechanic said it could be bearing in transmission
ok I'll get the info for you

Injectors can cause a vibration a engine miss would be with that vibration though, a damaged worn out dampner (on the front of the crank) can too. the trans shaft should have been checked when it was removed. When you install a new clutch the flywheel face must be resurfaced to take out the wear spots from the old clutch. As for the Bell housing a gasket Part number(###) ###-####MUST be used.RTV SHOULD NOT be used as there are oil passages that may be block. There is also alignment check with special tools that need to be done to make sure the Bell housing is properly mounted The flywheel housing bore and surface must be in alignment with the crankshaft to prevent possible damage to the engine, the clutch, or the transmission.

​It is possible that is the cause of your vibration too. And the rear main seal is probably leaking bad at this time too since the metal gasket is not present in the bell housing and is allowing the seal not to ride in it's proper location on the end of the crank. Please don't forget to Rate/Accept my service

Hi Just following up, Please don't forget to Rate/Accept my service

Did you get that taken care of? Hope my information was useful. Thank you

Well had the tranny taken out and inspected everything is good bell housing back in with proper gasket we are leaning towards timing of injectors or injectors themselves
Flywheel is good input bearing and shaft good harmonic balancer is new u-joints change and driveshaft balanced and refased and new steady bearing only thing left is timing valves or metering valves or bad injector

SO you still have a vibration. Like I said the injectors could cause that too but in most cases you would have a bad miss. Injectors only have a life span of about 500,000 miles. If you cannot isolate a failed one or have some weaker than others , my advise would to be replace them all. as the others that were not replaced will soon fail trying to keep up with the new ones. See if the shop has test metering and timing valves before you just replace them. They can be tricky to diag. If the test set works then replace them and no need for injectors. ect. Thank you foe letting Just Answer assist Hi , Please Take a moment to Rate/Accept my service​

It idles ok motor was in-framed about 350k miles ago hasn’t had a valve set yet

injectors can fail at any RPM range, load, no load, hot/cold. Just because it idles good doesn't mean something with injectors are going on in other ranges of operation. you can try a overhead set first Normally once they are set they don't need to be done again until 500,000 or a repair procedure that requires removal of the overhead. .It's simple and cheap procedure , Just have to set injectors and check/adjust valve lash.