Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

2008 Chevy topkick 8.1L. Not not working. I've replaced the…

Customer Question
2008 Chevy topkick 8.1L. Not...
2008 Chevy topkick 8.1L. Not not working. I've replaced the the horn, turn signal assy, and the push section in the middle of the steering wheel. I'm getting no power to the push connector on the steering wheel. Relay has power to 2 post but not clicking over, fuse is good. I can run a jumper to the horn and it works. I've swapped relays with a working relay and still no luck.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/29/2017
Technician: TECHPRO49,
 replied 4 months ago
TECHPRO49

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

I might be able to help, do you have a vin number for this? Ill check and see if I have the diagram

My skill level is pretty decent as I do this for a living. Text is fine. Thank you
Technician: TECHPRO49,
 replied 4 months ago

1GBE4C1GX9F409306
I'm heading to go work on the truck now. So hopefully you can reply soon. I'm also a little confused on how the power & grounds work. The hold button has a ground that connects to the column and the other wire is supposed to be a hot wire but it seems like it grounds also? If I apply direct power to red wire on the horn button and press the botton to make the horn work it shorts out.
Technician: TECHPRO49,
 replied 4 months ago

I just looked it up I dont have the diagram for that, this may need to be listed as a med duty truck for you to get the help you need ill send a message to the moderators to see if they can change it

Ok thank you
Technician: tracker40,
 replied 4 months ago
tracker40

Hello, I was able to pull wiring diagrams for the horn, same as most but I have your truck on my end, I am not 100% sure what you have done at horns swithes etc, possible you can take a picture of the plunger etc on the steering wheel so I can see yours? send picture to this post?

Technician: tracker40,
 replied 4 months ago

reviewing, bear with me, thanks

Technician: tracker40,
 replied 4 months ago

can i get a picture of the steering wheel side? thanks

Technician: tracker40,
 replied 4 months ago

Ok, what I want you to do is this, Unplug the RED spring plunger end from the horn pad. Take the spring plunger end and be sure inserted in the column hole, . I then need you to take the end of the REd wire that came from the horn pad and touch it directly to the nut/shaft for the steering wheel. Does the horn work?

It does not. I have a fleet of these I work on and all the other ones have 12v to the red plunger but this truck does not have any power to the red plumger.
Technician: tracker40,
 replied 4 months ago

Sending answer in few minutes, thanks

Technician: tracker40,
 replied 4 months ago

I do NOT see how you have 12 volts on the RED wire . Never in all my years ( 36 master tech) working on cars and trucks have I ever seen 12 volts on a horn wire at the switch, This is why you have a relay. The red wire only makes a ground. The ground activates the horn relay and the relay clicks sending power to the horns, NO way for me to say where the problem lies but I am 110% that Red is grounded. It is NOT to have 12 volts. The problem likley is within the column where the wheel is that allows the steering wheel to turn and at same time the horn wires make contact OR a break in the horn wire within the steering column. You need to get the steering wheel back off, You need to inspect the cancel cam, the item with a copper ring on it. I promise the probelm is between the horn pad and base of steering column. I have attached a wiring diagram showing this

System Operation

The vehicle horn system is activated whenever the horn switch is depressed or when the keyless entry system is used to lock the vehicle. A horn chirp may sound to notify the driver that the vehicle has been locked. For further information refer to Keyless Entry System Description and Operation.

Circuit Operation

Battery positive voltage is applied at all times to the horn relay coil and the horn relay switch. Pressing the horn switch applies ground to the horn relay control circuit. When the horn relay control circuit is grounded, the horn relay is energized and battery positive voltage is applied to the horns through the horn control circuit. The horns sounds as long as ground is applied to the horn relay control circuit.

Rate my service by using the stars at the top of the page. Just Answer can only compensate me for my time

and resources after feedback rating thus rating is required . Rating includes any follow-up questions you may have once you leave feedback rating. Free trials and member questions still require a service rating
Thank you so much!Randall

Sorry I haven't responded I've been out of work for the holidays. But I'll be back at truck today and will see if that helps me find the problem. Thanks!
tracker40
tracker40
tracker40