Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I need my engine family number for my big cam 400 cummins. I…

Customer Question
I need my engine...

I need my engine family number for my big cam 400 cummins. I have a engine#10915885

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

It's a 1984 W900 KW, last 6 of vin#316863

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, trying to get more info on engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

The engine plate is wore off and can't read any numbers. That other number is ***** on the block

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/27/2017
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 6 months ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

give me a bit to look this up, Please

thanks

Hi

Ok

Family is #3028997 CPL 588

Big Cam III
Big Cam III engines were introduced in 1983.
The new features in this engine were:

• New pressed steel oil pans
    - a very noticeable feature
  • New oil cooler and water pump
  • Top Stop injectors modified to DFF
    DFF - (Direct Fuel Feed),
    extra fuel flow assists cooling
  • Holset HT3B turbocharger introduced
  • I hope this helps you
  • Wayne

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hi

Actually, the Family is NTC 400 big cam

Hi

Just following up with you

Did my answer help You??

WayneI’m not sure it helped. The engine family number is ***** series of 12 numbers or letters. The older Big Cam 400 Cummins may have more numbers then letters.

Morning

Family is:: NTC 400 BC3 093