Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a 2012 Freightliner M2 with Cummins engine ISB 6.7,

Customer Question
the diagnosis code SPN 3251...
I have a 2012 Freightliner M2 with Cummins engine ISB 6.7, the diagnosis code SPN 3251 After treatment 1 DPF different ial Pressure | FMI=0 - Data Valid But Above Normal Operational Range- Most Severe Level 1. I already washed the DEF filter, I already changed the DEF pressure sensor, and I already changed the Rocker Switch but the code does not clear. As soon as I turn the key and put the power the diagnose code turns on. What should I do to resolve this problem.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/26/2017
Technician: cumminsdr, Mechanic replied 1 month ago
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

What is the engine serial number?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
serial #73254686

​​With this fault you need to remove the DPF filter from the exhaust and have it inspected and cleaned in the DPF cleaning machine. If its not damaged it can be reused once clean. As well check for a reason the DPF became plugged, Bad turbo or injectors? If you have excessive smoke with the DPF out of the exhaust system there may be an upstream issue.

Below is the process that needs to be taken to clear the active fault. It is best to have Cummins do this because you need their INSITE program to reset the ecm. Please don't forget to Rate/Accept my service.

• Clean or replace the aftertreatment DPF.
  • Use INSITE electronic service tool to perform the Diesel Particulate Filter Reset procedure found under the Aftertreatment Maintenance section of Advanced ECM Data.
  • After completing a stationary regeneration and no additional fault codes become active, the repair has been validated.
  • Continue to run the regeneration until the soot load in the aftertreatment DPF has dropped to the normal level.

CodesReasonEffect

Fault Code: 1922
PID(P): S324
SPN: 3251
FMI: 0

Aftertreatment Diesel Particulate Filter Differential Pressure - Data Valid But Above Normal Operating Range - Most Severe Level. The soot load of the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter (DPF) has exceeded the recommended limits. Engine protection derate is enabled.

Severe engine derate.

Possible causes of this fault code include:

• The aftertreatment wiring harness or the aftertreatment temperature sensor connector pin installation may be incorrect.
  • The engine has been operating in a light load condition that prevents exhaust temperatures from being high enough to actively regenerate the aftertreatment DPF.
  • A possible base engine malfunction that causes excessive black soot to be generated.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is it possible for you to send me diagrams for the temperature sensors to know which is which , and what is the voltages for the sensors

There would be temp faults along with this fault if that was the issue, You cannot read the voltage as it is calculated by the ecm . The ECM monitors the voltage on the signal pin and converts this to a temperature value. Aftertreament Inlet/Outlet temp are on the canister INLET IS first OUTLET is second Those 2 are for the DPF The red line is the DPF INLET and the yellow is the OUTLET. in the pic

Hi , Just following up. Please don't forget to Rate/Accept my service.

cumminsdr
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic