Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have 2012 Volvo D13 engine. truck starts quickly without…

Customer Question
I have 2012 Volvo...

I have 2012 Volvo D13 engine. truck starts quickly without cranking when its cold. but when the engine reaches the operating temperature .>170 .if you shut the engine off and tried to start it again after a minute, it will crank long before it starts again , and its not smooth idle like it should be.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

And also there no power specially up hills , even with empty trailer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

And it is so bad on fuel now, almost takes the dubble for the same load and same trip. I have checked all fuel lines and there is no leaks. all fluids are in good level with no mixing. the only thing I did before this happens is I changed the oil with fuel filter. that's all what I remember now. thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/25/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Check the fuel supply pressure and for air bubbles between the tank and pump or on the return using a clear hose or sight glass that would confirm leaks or restrictions in the fuel system. If okay on the suction side runn an injector test and check for a cold cylinder by testing temps at the exhaust ports for a cold cylinder that would flag a possibly injector or low compression issue on that cylinder causing an incomplete combustion issue. If the injectors have near 500k or better it is at or beyond the average expected life of the injectors. Check for fault codes and let me know if there are codes logged in the ECM history. Let me know the results and is we need to dig deeper into this. We can follow up as needed.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.