Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a semi Volvo 2012 D13 Question. D13 h 475. Has check…

Customer Question
I have a semi...

I have a semi Volvo 2012 D13 Question

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Volvo?

D13 h 475

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes has check codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

SPN 5394FM1 OTHER IS SPN 4094 FM1 CANNOT RESET

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am trying to park regen and it states Conditions not met check ATS STATUS MANUAL THEN I DO THIS. EVERYTHING IS CHECKED OK EXCEPT FOR TEMPORARY LOCKOUT CHECK. MECHANIC REPLACED COUPLE SENSORS AND CLEARED CODES 200 MILES LATER TRACTOR HAS SAME ISSUES..

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/24/2017
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 4 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, Network Engineer specializing in CAN faults, Aftertertreatment, and vehicle communications

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

You might have 1 of a few issues going on.

You are not getting high enough temps on the regen meaning the turbo isn't pushing the proper amount of pressure it should be (the computer needs to run and see that temps are getting to 600 on their own, then the air valve goes to open for the doser, then the temps gradually climb to 1000 degrees). If this is not being seen, then there is an issue with the turbo.

2nd possible is you are getting faceplugging at the DPF DOC which is making the truck think there is not enough pressure getting to the regen system. Watch the differential pressure and if you see it start climbing to the 20's, then you are good. Less than that, pull the exhaust pipe off the entrance to the DOC and clean the screen out. There is a screen there that catches large soot prior to the DPF filter.

3rd possible is you have crystallizing at the SCR system. Use the computer and select the "crystal sub" regen and let that run. That shuts off the metering valve and lets the regen burn out the DEF build up in the SCR system that build up will cause the truck to have good heat at the DPF, but poor heat at the SCR as well as low pressure at the SCR versus the DPF. You will see a 5 psi difference and when you see that, the SCR has crystallized DEF in it.

Lastly is a ash filled DPF and the DPF filter needs to be pulled off and cleaned/baked. Then put back on. If that was done within the last 20k miles, then ignore this one, unless you had an issue with oil consumption indicating you are burning oil which will ash load the DPF filter very early.

These are all the issues I have seen when those codes return with the work you stated have already been done to the truck.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

How can we check to see if the turbo is bad ?
How can we check to see if the temperatures are 600 - 1000 ?

You use the PTT software on the laptop. It will show you the temps of what the regen is doing. You can then look at the turbo sensors and it will show you the position of the vanes (30%) and the speed (12k rpm), and the pressure (22 psi) with the EGR at less than 15% flow. Then the dpf should be in the 20s on the differential pressure. If you are not seeing that, then the turbo actuator is not working properly.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Do you need more time to resolve the issue?