Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

When the transmission light come on the transmission will…

Customer Question
When the transmission light...

When the transmission light come on the transmission will not shift out first

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2007 International 4300 2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

When you set for while with the engine off the light go then it shift good

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/23/2017
Technician: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What has to be done from here since the transmission light is coming on is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set with this issue occurring.There should be at least one code set that will help to diagnose and repair this issue here.This has to be done due to the various components of the transmission as well as in some cases wiring that can cause this fault here.

This may be a fault with a solenoid or sensor failing in the transmission itself.But having the codes checked will help to locate the fault.

The computer may also be disabling shifting due to a transmission fault it has detected as some models the computer will do this to prevent any further damage.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when i get it to the technician it does not show a code

Is the technician checking it when the light is on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no i better not pay anymore

No need for the phone call if that is what your speaking of.That is an automated offer that is offered to all customers.We can continue here.

Are you saying no, the light is not on when the codes are checked?

O.k., most likely the computer is clearing out the code when the light turns off which can indicate the fault is no longer detected so the computer clears the code immediately.You will have to have the codes read out when the light is on to see what codes come up with this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic