Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2009 frieghtliner colombia with mercedes benz motor…

Customer Question
i have a 2009 frieghtliner...
i have a 2009 frieghtliner colombia with mercedes benz motor and the engine will shutdown there is a red flashing light on i know its for the exhaust filter but is there anything i can do or unplug to get truck 60 miles to our shop
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/23/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and post my responses. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc each day.

k
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

The only possibility is to try a parked regen to see if it will successfully complete. If the faults logged wont allow regen at all unfortunately the codes need to be read and diagnosis and repairs need to be made before the system/ECM will reset itself. In some cases the software needs to be updated and reset if after repairs are made the system still wont regen and rested itself.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

I’ve tried a parked regen n it just shuts down half way threw that’s all that the info u can tell me
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

What fault codes do you have logged in the ECM?

ECU 122 n then it’s sim 122
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

That is what i need to know to tell you what needs to be done

DPF soot plugged? Sensor issue, EGR issue? DPF doser or wiring issue, etc. Need the fault codes to know what circuit is causing the problem to know where to start troubleshooting

Sorry sim 155
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

ECU 128 maybe?

that’s it ECU 128 n the sim#155 there’s a bunch different things it says under these code numbers
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Scroll through the dash display and see if you get any other faults logged.Here is an older post I had concerning this.

2010 freightliner Cascadia with codes on the dash ecu 128 sid 155 fail 0

4 Mar 2015, 12:41 PM

Me

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Scroll through your display and let me know all the numbers you are getting as there should be some with SPN in them. these are the numbers that will give me more specific information for your fault. Let me know

4 Mar 2015, 5:57 PM

Customer

spn 3719
spn 3713

4 Mar 2015, 8:18 PM

Me

Thanks for the info.
SPN 3713/FMI 31 - EPA07
This diagnostic is typically High Idle Regeneration (HIR) aborted - Low Regeneration Temperature.
The fault indicates that the HIR was aborted due to the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) outlet temperature not reaching the
expected target temperature to complete a HIR. If there are any other regeneration or fuel system related faults address those
first. The CEL and MIL lamp will remain ON until a fault is resolved or a successful regeneration is completed. Retain log file
if customer assistance is required.
Possible issues:
• Low Fuel Compensation Pressure
• Exhaust Leaks
• Fuel Leaks
• Sticking Hydrocarbon (HC) doser injector valve (high doser line pressure)
• DOC outlet temperature not responding

SPN 3719/FMI 15
This diagnostic condition is a silent code that logs when the DPF Regeneration Lamp is flashing in regen
Zone 3.
NOTE:
This code is informational only and used by service to help understand which dash lights illuminated
during normal service. A stationary regen is required if the fault code is active. No action is required
for an inactive fault code.
SPN 3719/FMI 31
Zone 2.
NOTE:
for an inactive fault code

Copy and paste this link in your browser for more info on the 3719 code.

https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/417-14.pdf

4 Mar 2015, 8:44 PM

Customer

What can be done with the doc outlet temp to make it right is it a sensor that needs to be changed.

4 Mar 2015, 8:54 PM

Me

I would check the outlet sensor and harness for problems first and check the system for leaks as well as the other potential causes listed.

4 Mar 2015, 9:12 PM

Customer

Was just not reaching temp. Got it hot enough and it completed regen turned all lights off and no codes came back on. Thanks a bunch.

Fault 00 n fault 2
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

There should be SPN numbers scrolling through the next screen

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved?