Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Have a question on an international dt466. 1999 3800 school…

Customer Question
Have a question on...

Have a question on an international dt466

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1999 3800 school bus engine. dont have serial handy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just started blowing white smoke out the breather tube today and proceeded to get coolant in the oil.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No loss of power everything seemed fine. just happened quick and started dumping coolant in the oil. trying to see what direction to go to verify weather its a head gasket, oil cooler or something internal

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/21/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

sounds good. just trying to get headed in the right direction for proper diagnosis

Remove the oil pan, and pressurize the radiator and watch for the coolant leak. Then you have an idea as to its source. Not going to be oil cooler, as oil pressure is higher than water pressure. I would suspect a cylinder has pinhole from corrosion.

is this common? The engine has 190k miles. been running perfect and just started to blow smoke out the valve cover breather oil looked fine. drove it 12 miles back our shop and had milky oil in that short distance. but running fine

1999 model will be 18 years old, and if the coolant hasn't been replaced and rust inhibitor added, it can happen. And it happens suddenly.

I just put the engine in this truck a few weeks ago which came out of a school bus that just came our of service and was very well maintained. So not sure if that plays into it but is there much chance its an injector or head gasket?
Otherwise I'm looking at an inframe basically?
is that a possibility on injector or head gasket or not likely?

Sorry, I left a few minutes to have supper with the wife. To check if it is injector tubes, run the same pressure test as for oil pan removal, and with rocker cover removed, watch for coolant in the cylinder head, around the injector location. The head gasket leak would show as coolant dripping into oil pan area, from the ends of the cylinder block.