Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Orlando Had a truck towed to the towing company near Toyah,

Customer Question
Perry Orlando Had a truck...

Perry Orlando
Had a truck towed to the towing company near Toyah, TX. They installed a new turbo and actuator but could not clear the actuator code. It say Turbo Actuator Engine De-Rate. Driver did a parked regen before he left. Drove in very slow traffic for 3 hours and then the truck lost all power. Had to coast to the shoulder. Trying to do a regen and it will not. Spent nearly $10,000 for tow, parts and service.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2013 Peterbilt 587 VIN 1XP4A49X9DD184910 WITH A CUMMINS isx

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/21/2017
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Was the turbo ran through the install and calibrate functions on Insite?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

they calibrated on Insite

Then there is one of 2 issues. The harness has a rub through or there is coolant or corrosion at the ECM plug. These engines are know to push coolant through the coolant wire from the reservoir sensor then cause issues at various pins due to corrosion. See if there is corrosion at the plug. Rule that out and test the pins for the actuator. Make sure they are not loose.

I am still here
You do know that we just installed new actuator and Turbo?

You wrote that and that you used Insite to do the install programming and the calibration programming. So that means the harness or the ECM is having issues and I doubt it is the ECM, but the harness. Unless the calibration programming was not done, then there is something wrong with the harness. I have seen defective actuators out of the box, but not often.

This is showing a payment failure for the phone call you requested. I am unable to call. Due to this payment failure, I will opt out while that gets corrected.

I didn't use Insite, the mechanic at the tow shop did. The driver is telling me he watched them do that.
Since they charged $5, then $41, the credit card company picked it up as fraudulent.
Now you want another $26? That is $72. Is that accurate?
The bolts are tight and there is no corrosion on the harness
Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician