Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Have a 2003 Sterling enclosed car hauler that was built by…

Customer Question
Hey I have a 2003...
Hey I have a 2003 Sterling enclosed car hauler that was built by boydstun. It's a 10 speed & has a C12 in it. I bought the truck from wagoners trucking they had it sitting almost 7 years. I have gone thru the entire truck almost changing out all hoses & clamps, intake pipes. All ac lines the ac compressor and condenser. Pretty much everything but main components such as turbo or any engine work. I left on first trip truck had 526k miles, few days back about 12k miles later I couldn't get truck over 35-40mph randomly on I-70 in Kansas. At first I just thought it was the high winds an me pushing 80k gross. I stopped off exit in limon co shut truck off for 15 min looked around everything was in place, thought maybe I was bad fuel from a flying j 2 hours prior. So started truck up again & seemed fine for next 4-5 miles until limon, co flying j, so I topped off the tanks just incase. Tanks are only 80 gal each so I was below half already. Next 80 miles or so getting into Denver truck seemed normal, I droppped off several cars did some city driving around Denver for 2 days an nothing seemed off. Following day finally loaded up all 9 cars again right around 80k gross, right after Cheyenne, WY truck would either start jerking pretty bad if flooring it, esp any little hill, it goes beteen jerking until I let off the throttle an keep downshifting to make the hills, or it would just internally go empty on me even when stepping on it all the way there's no power best case up to 50-55mph on straight roads, this happened till Salt Lake City I dropped 1 car issues still continued same way, next stop sparks, nv dropped another still no difference. Once I got to Sacramento killed the truck for 20-30min while fueling after that was good as new. New 3-4 days making drops & pickups around California I didn't see any issues at all, also never had more than like 5 cars at once compared to 9. Now few hours ago loaded to the top 79k with 9 cars going to FL and 1 hour after Phoenix around Eloy same issues begun. Barely getting up the az Hills on I-10 going 15mph. What does this seem like the problem is? Also forgot to mention sometimes when idling an flooring the throttle really heavy white smoke comes out, other times nothing. Thanks CJ
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Also noticed that not the times when it would be jerking but other times when throttle didn't respond much, there was a red "service soon" light that would come on an off every 5-10 seconds. Stayed on for maybe 3 seconds tops. Seems the higher rmps more often the light would flicker, when going downhill or idle it never came on. & that light is on the right side of the driver seat on the dash on top corner next to the pto switch and wheel lock etc. as far as actually cluster gage not a single light came on ever.
Right now completely straight road. 10th gear got it up to 58mph after rear area now jerking disappeared but throttle pushed in all the way 48mph is best it's going.
After rest area* & that's probably because it was slightly downhill at first
I would send video so could see when pushing on throttle too much it just starts jerking really bad, you can hear it an feel it the engine an transmission just stalling so to speak. Until really easing off throttle which causes to lose more speed an brings down to 15-20mph unless get lucky with a little downhill to catch up again
12/20/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 months ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Since the service engine light comes on. I would like to pull the flash codes. If you have never done this. Here is how.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.