Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

It's switched from to low on. It's own. 2001 freightliner…

Customer Question
It's switched from hi...

It's switched from hi to low on. It's own

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2001 freightliner century 10 speed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

When I move the shifter side to side it go in to hi and lo

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/18/2017
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 7 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

That sounds like the shift switch needs to be replaced. If it is the electric one, it definitely needs to be replaced. The air one, sometimes you can clean the lines out at that switch and it will resolve.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

It's switches by its self and you can hear air from it

Yep, that is a bad switch at the shifter knob. It is worn out in there.

Take the shift head off and then replace the switch, or the o-ring inside it if you are comfortable with the small pieces. They are inexpensive, like $30 roughly for the valve.

The o-ring inside the valve is blown out.

You don't even have to touch the knob if you move the shifter from side to side it shifts from low to hi
When you drive it it will go two low gears then it switches to hi on its own

That is what I am stating... That little vale is bad in the shifter top. It has a o ring that separated the chambers and when air leaks by, it causes the shift box to move the gear back and forth.

That valve in the shift head needs to be replaced.

Still doing the samebthing

Hmmm... And it does it from moving the stick?

It doesn't do it otherwise, right? As in if that stick doesn't move, it is good?

we move it side to side or when we drive it. Two low then it shifts to hi on its own

That is what is throwing me off. You mentioned you hear the air when this happens earlier too. It is rare, but it can be the valve on the transmission, but it usually locks into one side or the other, then you get air loss with grinding, not just flipping.

There could be a air line leaking, but you would hear air all the time if that were the case.

That only leaves that valve on the transmission. It certainly isn't internal.

That valve on the transmission is literally a o-ring. You take the lines off (take a picture of the line placement for there are 4 of them and all 4 are different colors). Then open the valve, then pull the slider out and replace the o-ring. That is all that ever goes bad in them.

There is nothing else that I can think of that would cause that. If that isn't it, I will admit that I am baffled and will ask others here what they think. Give that a look in there and see if that is it then let me know.

There is nothing else that it can be besides it, or a line which as mentioned, you would hear leaking all the time.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Do you need more time to resolve the issue?