Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a2001 medium duty freightliner. I have been driving…

Customer Question
I have a2001 medium...

I have a2001 medium duty freightliner. I have been driving it for ten years.Have a 26000 tag on it. Got stopped by dot and he was looking at the gvw rating. He said it was built as a 33000 gvw and I would have to have cdl license to drive it. I have made some changes to the truck after I bought it. My question is can the gvw be dropped to the 26000 that I thought it was to start with?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2001 Freightliner FL70 vin 1fvabtbv31hh91496

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I have shortened the bed *8 feet,changed rear end to higher gear,added pto and knuckleboom

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/16/2017
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 7 months ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

did you add the tag axle or was it on there ??

it is Hydraulic brakes, correct

I added the tag and it has air brakes. Before I got the truck it was used to haul propane

HI

Thank you for the response

I don't believe that the inspector was

looking at the tag axle, the fact it has air brakes

is an automatic CDL, so between the tag and air brakes, that is why he said that

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5- star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

HI

What state you live in ??