Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have the following codes on my International 4200 VT365.

Customer Question
I have the following...

I have the following codes on my International 4200 VT365. Truck turns over but will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

1:3 613_14A

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

150:2 2023 14A

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

The truck was driving down the road nicely when the driver disengaged the cruise control by means of tapping the brake pedal the truck died and had to be towed back to our store

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/15/2017
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 2 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Are these the only 2 codes you have?

Do you have a scan tool to pull the engine codes?

I will look these up for you. and give the meaning for them.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

All fluid levels have been checked, good, all fuses have been pulled and checked, good. Our skill level is capable of handling any repair this truck may need once we diagnose the problem. Wiring harness visually inspected no visual failure.
Are you still there?

613_14 1:3

HVAC Control Head mode control fault.
This is a motor fault in the kinematic network. This motor controls the doors in the kinematic network of the heater module.
Motor in the wrong position or jammed.

The A means active. Replace the AC actuator to resolve this code. It is the one on the bottom left of the air box.

2023_14 150:2

Engine Controller not communicating with the primary EGC
Loss of communication in excess of 10 seconds.
Drivetrain J1939 data link.

This one is the gauge cluster. See if you have the fuse blown in the cab for the cluster. It will be in the box behind the cover on the passenger side.

Yes, still here. Had to look up the 2nd code for I don't see that one often.

Neither of these will prevent a engine start though.

Do you have a scan tool to see the engine codes? Have you checked the fuses at the battery box to confirm none are blown?

If you have a scan tool, can you see the ICP and that it is reaching 600 psi during cranking?

No I don't have a scan tool, tell me what would be the one to purchase and I will go buy it. This truck not running is causing me pain.

They are expensive... You'll want the International Service Assistant for that engine. You will use your laptop, a Nexiw scanner, and the program. You can Chinese closes for around $400 on average. It will pull up all the engine codes and do the full diagnostics, like the injector buzz tests, etc.

They are hard to diagnose without that because the engine relies so heavily on the oil rail for the injectors and if you can't see what it is doing, it is like shooting in the dark, literally. Parts are too expensive to just throw at it then end up needing to pull the valve covers to replace oil seals that cost less than $40 in parts, but hours in labor... It is better to have it scanned.

If the fuses are good at the battery box, then the injectors are getting power. If you turn the key on and you hear the clicking, you are getting the buzz test meaning the harness it good. That leaves the oil rail and that is where the hands get tied really fast withou being able to see the pressure and the position of the IPR.

That is the downside of that engine manufacturer...

just double checked cluster fuse it is a 30 amp. it is good. Checked all the rest again. they are good.

Well... poo...

There is an issue most likely with the oil system then on the high pressure rail.

This is where the scan tool will be needed, sadly. :-(

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Do you need more time to resolve the issue?

Jeremy
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician