Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Bendix Wingman system is still throwing a fault code after…

Customer Question
Bendix Wingman system is...

Bendix Wingman system is still throwing a fault code after clearing the front sensor. Company mechanic suggested a computer reset to clear code.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2016 International ProStar, Cummins ISX 15 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced the fuse that corresponds to the System, but that didn’t fix it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing else is wrong.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/14/2017
Technician: Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician replied 7 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What code are you getting on that system?

Some of the codes require the computer to reset them, others they don't. However, if there is a calibration that is off or if there is a data error from a bit priority issue in the CAN BUS, it will keep the code as well, depending on the code. (you almost need a programmer to work on these anymore) If you have the code, I can get a better understanding of what it is and how to proceed.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

This system ties into my Cruise Control, and without this, I don’t have cruise.

What was blocking it? Ice and snow? Does it look cracked at all anywhere on the front of it?

Have you driven it since the clearing of the debris?

Just a minor snowfall. I had since cleared that up(rather, it melted), and one of our company mechanics sugest unhooking a battery cable, leaving it off for about 20-30 minutes, and rehooking it on, to reset the computer.
I have.
it looks solid. When I hit a deer in October, I still had the collision system working, even after the deer collision.

Unhooking that battery will cause more issues. That doesn't reset codes on trucks. All that does is cause battery codes to come up which can cause the truck to not start.

Doesn't the mechanic have a laptop with a connector? If so, the Bendix ACOM software is free. CLICK HERE to get it.

He does, I didn’t head into the shop, thinking it was something I could fix myself.

Sometimes on that front sensor, it needs to "see" traffic when driving at 20 mph. Do a quick, short road test and see if it then resets. If not, then there may be an issue with the front sensor.

There is even a note in the guide that the vehicle needs to be driven and once it sees the objects, it will reset when you shut the key off and turn it back on. Then drive it for it to see objects.

Like I mentioned, if the code is still there after, then there is something wrong with the front radar itself.

Component Code: 92

(SA 42, SPN 886, FMI 14)

Forward Looking Radar Not Detecting Objects or Radar Blocked

Overview

This code indicates that the Forward Looking Radar (FLR) has not detected a target in an excessive amount of time or has become
blocked .

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Detection

When the FLR has gone a period of time without receiving any reflected radar signals this Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is set . This
may simply indicate that the vehicle has been in an extremely desolate area without any vehicles or objects to reflect its radar signals .
Non-vehicular objects such as road signs, highway overpasses and background trees should provide enough radar signals to prevent this
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) from being set . This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) may also indicate that the FLR has become blocked by
mud, snow, ice, or other debris .

Symptom

The Bendix

VORAD

®

VS-400 Collision Warning System and the Bendix

SmartCruise

®

adaptive cruise control will fail to operate, however,

the driver will have access to conventional cruise control . The Driver Interface Unit (DIU) will illuminate an orange DTC light and display a
message indicating the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) condition . If the VS-400 system once again begins to detect objects, the condition
will clear and the system will resume normal operation .

Possible Causes

Obstructed Radar View

Correct Operation, but with a lengthy time since the last radar object was detected

Repair Procedure

Active Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)

Steps to Perform

Code 92, FMI 14

1. Check the Forward Looking Radar for debris buildup (snow, mud, etc .) or if the radar's

view is being obstructed .
Note: This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is automatically set inactive after each
power cycle .

2. Road test vehicle and make sure the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) condition has

cleared .

3. Test complete.

See the note about corect operation, but a long time since reading objects. There is a tch note to drive it for it to clear after clearing off the debris. I can't copy it for the system isn't letting me.

after doing that, and with it still disabled, there could be something wrong with the sensor itself? Well, looks like that will be a mechanical fix. I was afraid of that.

Correct. If you do a short drive and the code still remains, then the sensor needs to be changed.

That "smart cruise" known as adaptive cruise system is a pain. Sometimes on those, I have had drivers get by them by turning the cruise on and off 4 times then activate the cruise. I've not tried it. Just heard that from drivers. Maybe it will work? I see no ways of bypassing it though in the guide. I usually just swap the sensors out when they act up like that.

Well, I appreciate the help. I can just schedule a shop visit next week to do that, do a DPF Filter Change, and a PM. This shall be fun.

Why the filter change if the waffle comb is good? Just bake it and reset the maintenance on it. Unless you're meaning the SCR filter cartridge on the air line at the one box. On a 2016 that dpf filter will have ash in it, but they get baked now to remove the ash.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?

Do you need more time to resolve the issue?