Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

No oil pressure. Cummins 8.3 CTA. 1990

No oil pressure Mechanic's...

No oil pressure

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

Cummins 8.3 CTA

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

1990

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes

put pressure gauge directly on port of engine block.
still o psi
took out oil fressure regulator
pressure
also started with oil filter off. no oil flow out.
Also borescoped through oil drain hole. Looks like pickup in in place.
anybody here?
Guess not.
Please give my money back>
12/14/2017
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

what you are describing is the oil pump gear broke or the

oil pressure pump itself has failed

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5- star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

How do I know?

Hi

Thank you for the response

you measured direct to the block

you will need to drop the oil pump and check it

it also, would be a good idea to check your rods and main bearings

make sure they are not damaged

I hope this helps you

what do you mean "drop the oil pump" isn't it on the front of engine? toward the top
Is rods and main bearings the most likely damaged parts?

HI

Thank you for that

Yes, it is behind the front cover,remove drive belt,damper then front cover

Hi

Just seen your 2nd question

yes rods and mains are 1st to get damage

Will i need any puller before getting to cover?

Hi

Thank you for that

No, remove the 6 colts and then the hub bolt and slides off

What gaskets are needed for oil pump change?

Hi

You will need a front oil seal, and timing cover gasket

the pump comes with a gasket

What about the pully on front of crank shaft?
How often does this happen?

Hi

The pulley will come off after the 6 bolts are removed

this happens often about 20% of the time

No. I mean, how often does an oil pump fail?

HI

That is what I answered you

it happens often, it is not unusual

If it is oil pump gear, will that be same , replace oil pump?

HI

yes the gear is mounted to the pump

comes with it

What is the published time to repair(hrs.) for oil pump remove and replace?

HI

Book time just for the oil pump is 9.5 hrs

Wow

Hi

Yes that includes all cleanup of parts and such

that is the book time, real-time is 7-7.5 hours

That equates to 18.5 hours for me.
I better get working on it. Thank you

Your welcome

Please remember to rate my answer

so I get credit for the question

Wayne, Journeyman
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
Phone call session started