Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Mack e7 sputters/ misses when you let it idle than take off.

Customer Question
Mack e7 sputters/ misses...

Mack e7 sputters/ misses when you let it idle than take off. it clears out normally by the first shift or two and runs out normal

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2000 e7 427 ch613

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had it at a local shop they racked up a large bill and didnt fix it. 6 new injectors, 1 injector solenoid. no trouble codes. i am working on it now in my shop that i have time

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was rebuilt 3 year ago less than 200000 miles

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/14/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Install a clear hose or sight glass on the suction and return to look for air bubbles and for leaks or restrictions. This will help to check and isolate a suction or return fuel supply problem. If the return only it points to injector issues or in the head but if before the pump ir points to a supply issue. Monitor the pressure as well. Let me know the results.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Test the exhaust port temps as well to check for a cold cylinder that would indicate weak combustion.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

We had a little on suction side a lot on the return so we ran a line straight back to the tank removing any air going in and still have a lot of air on return what do we check next
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

If a lot on the return but not the suction it points to air or combustion getting in through the injectors.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

If it is in the suction as well it would be passing through to the return.

The air is definitely coming from the head I believe the injectors does it mean anything if all the air is coming out of a rubber line top dead center in the front of valve cover coming out of the head which goes down and ties in the return line work comes out of the block
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

If none on the suction anymore but on the return it points to an injector issue. Test and reseal the injectors. If around 500k on the injectors replace them.

How do you test the injectors to find out what ones are leaking
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

An initial test would be to take exhaust port temps to look for a cold cylinder and for signs of wet unburned fuel at the exhaust ports. The other way is to remove them and send them out for a fuel injection shop to test them properly.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Did this get new injectors 200k ago? If not I would go with 6 new ones without hesitation.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.