Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 05/06 ISM 500HP in a 2006 Travel Supreme. It is…

I have a 05/06 ISM...
I have a 05/06 ISM 500HP in a 2006 Travel Supreme. It is coming up with engine codes. I took it to a local shop for diagnosis and they said it is a bunch of different EGR VALVE codes..Some on the internet say that the problem is.is nearly always a sensor and NOT the valve. Many say that the valve is totally unnecessary and for $500 I can install a delete kit that will clear the codes and tell the ECM that everything is working perfect.
12/14/2017
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi Roy

I 'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

What is your question ??

I was quoted $2600USD to replace my EGR. My motorhome has less than 75k miles. As stated above, some say that the problem is a sensor(s) not the actual egr. What are your thoughts?
Also, what about installing an egr delete?

Hi Roy

Thank you for the response

I say with only 75k miles, it is a faulty sensor

I suggest a different shop look at it and pull the code for the sensor

but sensors are pricey also, so you may want to go to the delete kit

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5- star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

What is your opinion on the delete kit? Could it cause problems or engine damage?

Hi Roy

Sorry for the delay, was called out

I have seen a lot of truckers go with the delete kit

the downside is a lower fuel mileage

My understanding is that the egr causes lower fuel mileage. Why would deleting it also cause lower fuel mileage?

Hi Roy

Thank you for that

reason being it is not recirculating the exhaust

which gets burned again, thus lowering the milage

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience: ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

You asked for a new professional, but no follow up as to the additional info requested from a different professional.

What code did the shop say you had on the engine? Not what they told you, but the actual code number from the report?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

They just said EGR valve codes, EGR position, EGR differential pressure, and EGR temperature. Said they ran a test for EGR Valve and it failed. Said replacing EGR may not take care of diff pressure an temperature codes. This unit has less than 75k miles. Liking the idea of EGR delete, but concerned about side effects. Still can't understand why it would lower mileage, not that it is a concern, just like to understand.

As the other expert stated, it can lower the MPG with bad tuning. You can't just do a delete and go. It needs to have a tune package done to it as well in order to get good performance on it. Delete kits and tune kits are 2 different packages.

The engine is designed to operate with the EGR bypassing some of the un-burned NOx gas from the engine. The settings are to give higher fuel to the injectors for this purpose. So when it becomes all fresh air without a tune, you get the over-fuel of the injectors still which eats the fuel mileage and chokes the engine from over-fueling. This is where you add a tune to the engine where you get the lower fuel spray and then you get the better fuel mileage.

If you are having EGR flow issues and you are looking at a delete kit, I would get the delete kit for it will be around the same cost to have the delete, sensor bypass, and full tuning done as it would to change the EGR out.

You tube has numerous examples of cleaning egr valves. At this mileage I have trouble understanding why it would even need cleaning. With ONLY 75,000 miles it seems unlikely that it is worn out. Why would you think it would be used up so soon?

The EGR valves vary in having issues. You could have idled longer than most which will cause it to go bad. The vehicle sitting causes the soot to harden and in turn makes the EGR stick. Bad fuel will cause the EGR to coke up wit hteh soot in turn causing it to go bad. Not only that, it will plug up the Delta P sensor causing the EGR to stay open or closed which will burn out the valve.

The shop may be wrong. You can try cleaning the EGR tubes going to the Delta P and see if the issue resolves, but if it doesn't, then you know there is an EGR valve issue.

I have had them fail in 20,000 miles due to overheating from a bad oil cooler causing the EGR cooler to not cool because of sludge in the engine from them sitting for months and then idling. There can be many reasons. Do I think the shop is accurate? I don't know. I am not evaluating the vehicle so it is difficult to be certain. They do make mistakes, some lack training, and some just flat out try to screw you into next Sunday.

If you are handy with tools, pull the valve off and see if the butterfly moves easily. If you have access to a scanner, see if the valve is reading a EGR flow and then floor it, then drop off and see if it changes. If no reading, then replace the Delta P, calibrate it, then do it again. If the Delta P is still reading the same, then the valve is acting up.

Keep in mind, it could be electrical shorts too. You can have a short to the valve on the plug and that can cause issues. It can be sludge in the oil not pushing the oil into the valve for operation. There are several things you can check.

Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician