Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I would like to now what can cause the temp gauge to jump up…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to now what can cause the temp gauge to jump up and down?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

The driver was driving and the temp was normal , and suddenly it peaked and came down. UD(###) ###-####Model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I bough the truck second hand , received it only yesterday night from the dealer. They told us the enjin was overhauled and no problems at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

None

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/14/2017
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 7 months ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

the most likely cause is the coolant temp sensor

or a head gasket leaking if it pegs hot,

then drops to cold this is not uncommon for an engine overhaul

head not torqued properly

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks Wayne , if the head gasket blown , what signs will confirm that the gasket is damaged?

Hi

Thank you for the response

he would see milky sludge in the radiator

on the radiator cap and also the engine oil dipstick

Please remember to rate my answer so I get the credit for the question

Morning

Just following up with you

Did my answer help you ??

Morning

I took the time to answer your question

Please take the time to respond to me