Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Dr.Cummins, got a ISX with a black smoke/low power issue and

it kinda popping around sometimes...
Dr.Cummins, got a ISX with a black smoke/low power issue and it kinda popping around sometimes. Pulled the exhaust off before the doc and still have a ton of black smoke coming out pipe. No codes... had a EGR code but we took it off and cleaned it.. ESN-79372036 how to diagnose?
12/13/2017
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

Any faults for turbo or VGT actuator inactive? Have you checked the turbo wheel for excessive play or pushing oil on either side? run it with air filter removed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No codes for turbo active or inactive havnt checked play

Ok check turbo wheel and for signs of oil,It's a starting point. also remove the air filter and run the engine to make sure that is not causing the restriction or issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all those things are good

Ok next without removing the turbo actuator yet and checking for travel on the sector gear. (cuz you have to drain and fill coolant then recalibrate actuator) can you run the engine and use insite to cut out each /multiple cylinders to try and isolate the smoke to a cylinder? I also take it the fuel filters have been serviced and there is no restrictions to the engine.... Not sure what you checked as basic stuff yet.

How did you make out? Find anything

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
New fuel filters... have a egr code that shows up randomly about not being able close all the way... found the tanks full of diesel but it was black or close to it.. drained and cleaned the fuel tanks out until all nice and shiny. Getting ready to diagnose the egr code but i blocked it off for long enough to start and run and it didn't change anything. Ran the overhead because it sounded like it was clattering or detonating or something along those lines but it changed nothing...??? any of this make any sense? or point you towards something.... haven't pulled the turbo actuator off yet either... and it only smokes black when you throttle up.. clatters all the time... even tried a good set of timing and metering actuators like you told me to try on another engine that was clattering and loping bad...

Have you used Insite to try to isolate a cylinder for smoke? It it popping thru the intake or exhaust? Are engine brakes adjusted correctly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pushes air out the intake it seems

Ugg.. That's not what I wanted to hear.. These engines are known for intake valves cracking and braking off.. Under operating conditions, acidic corrosion and thermal stresses induced in the intake valve can initiate fatigue cracking which, over time, can propagate until a portion of the intake valve separates from the valve head and enters the cylinder. This type of valve malfunction is commonly known as a chordal malfunction. Once the valve has malfunctioned, performance of the engine is compromised and progressive damage to the piston, cylinder liner, cylinder head and turbocharger can occur. Typical complaints following intake valve chordal malfunctions include but are not limited to check engine light, low engine power, cylinder misfire, “popping” noise from the air intake manifold, excessive engine noise, and engine shut down and no start conditions.

• Chordal malfunction of the intake valve can only be reliably determined by borescope inspection or removal of the cylinder head.
  • A chordal malfunction of an intake valve is characterized by a piece or pieces of valve head missing from an intake valve.
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
cumminsdr
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic