Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have a 2004 international 7300 with a dt466, have a hard…

Customer Question
Good afternoon, have a...

Good afternoon, have a 2004 international 7300 with a dt466 , have a hard starting issue with this , it doesn't matter if it's cold outside even in warm temperatures it's tough to start . Once it's running it runs well. We have of these and they are new to our fleet . We haven't received manuals for this as of yet , and I'm trying to resolve this issue . Is this possible an oil pressure related issue i.e. Injectors controlled by high oil pressure pump , thanks for any information and advice. Brian

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Let me check , Your looking for the vin # correct ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

1HTWAAAR65J036161, is the vin #

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/13/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, bare with me while I review your information. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc each day.

Ok, thanks for any help and information you can provide
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

What fault codes are logged in the ECM memory? there are many things that could cause hard starting. Could be fuel related with sucking air or leaks or restrictions causing low pressure, Low ICP pressure, Crank sesnor signal. Slow cranking RPM, low compression etc. Let me know your fault codes logged and the results of any of these checks you have made so far. We can follow up as needed.

No fault codes , just hard starting in all temps , it does seem to be slower cranking than the identical truck , which one of my thoughts were with this, about 6 months ago the starter had been changed and the person installing it was not the one who removed it , and he was not sure if it got hooked back up correctly. Do you have a wiring schematic of uthe starter and how it is to be hooked up. We haven't yet received the service manuals for these trucks and have been going online to access what we can find for this. The starter was purchased directly from international dealer and not a cheaper version. It's a leece Neville brand and numbers match the old one, so I'm sure we have the correct one , just possibly not hooked up correctly ? Thanks again for your help and information
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

The starter should not cause hard starting. If it is cranking over it is unrelated to the hard start issue.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

Low ICP pressure from injector o ring leaks, low fuel pressure or air in the system, etc will cause hard starting.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

You should have 870 PSI ICP pressure cranking and no leaks in the high pressure rail if shop air is applied to the ICP sensor port. Listen for leaks under the valve cover. Let me know

Ok thanks will ck that , thanks again
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

Pleasure to help

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson