Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Regen Issue on a 2011 Pete 348 (vin:160507) with a Cummins…

Regen Issue on a 2011...
Regen Issue on a 2011 Pete 348 (vin:160507) with a Cummins ISC (esn:73333964). 123.9 miles ago Insite showed codes 3543 (NOx limits exceeded due to Insufficient Reagent Quality), 3582 (Aftertreatment SCR Catalyst Conversion Efficiency Data Valid but Below Normal Range), 3714 (Engine Protection Torque Derate) & 3712 (Afertreatment SCR Operator Inducement – Data valid but above normal operational range). In attempt to correct this we changed the DEF filter, visually verified no contaminates in the DEF, sent the DPF out for cleaning at the dealer and repaired a coolant leak. The truck had no visible exhaust leaks. Test drove 20 miles with no codes and full power. Turned truck out to customer.2 days later the truck is back (123.9 miles) Customer concern is that the check engine light is on. Insite is showing 3 active codes with 1 count each. Codes 3543 (NOx limits exceeded due to Insufficient Reagent Quality), 3582 (Aftertreatment SCR Catalyst Conversion Efficiency Data Valid but Below Normal Range) & 3714 (Engine Protection Torque Derate) - Kris
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/13/2017
Daniel Wilson

Hi Kris, Its Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, bare with me while I review your information and pull some info for you on this. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc each day.

CODE

REASONEFFECT

Fault Code: 3543
PID: S115
SPN: 4094
FMI: 31
LAMP: Amber
SRT:

NOx Limits Exceeded Due to Insufficient Reagent Quality - Condition Exists. The diesel exhaust fluid quality is not sufficient enough to provide adequate mono-nitrogen oxides (NOx) reduction.

Possible engine power derate. Vehicle speed may also be limited

This diagnostic has to meet specific engine and aftertreatment conditions to run and complete. NOx sensor data is gathered over varying engine speeds and loads. When enough data has been gathered, the diagnostic will run, make a pass/fail decision, and begin to gather data again.

Conditions for Setting the Fault Code

The ECM detects that the NOx conversion across the SCR catalyst is lower than expected.

• The ECM illuminates the amber CHECK ENGINE lamp and/or the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) immediately when the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • Engine torque will be reduced if the engine is operated for an extended period of time with this fault active.
  • After completing a stationary regeneration (as instructed in this fault code troubleshooting tree) and no additional faults become active, the repair has been validated. Note that this fault code will still be active.
  • It is necessary to use the "Reset All Faults" command in INSITE to clear this fault and turn off the amber CHECK ENGINE lamp and/or MIL.

Troubleshoot all other active NOx sensor and SCR dosing system related fault codes before this fault.

Possible causes of this fault code include:

• Malfunctioning diesel exhaust fluid dosing system
  • Exhaust system leaks
  • Malfunctioning SCR catalyst
  • Degraded, diluted, or incorrect diesel exhaust fluid
  • Diesel exhaust fluid deposits in decomposition tube.

This fault code can be set as a result of multiple failure modes.

doser,pump,fluid,ect. There is a filter in the dosing pump that may need to be changed once replaced or checked perform a regen, If a code trips the aftertreatment system will need to be inspected ,checked or cleaned. Disconnecting battery's will not clear or reset fault codes and in some cases the ECm software needs to be reflashed and updated..

3582

Check the DEF fluid and DEF doser for problems. Perform the reset all function in the ecm with Insite and start a regen. Then see if other codes come active.

• nspect the inlet face of the aftertreatment diesel oxidation catalyst for reuse.
  • Inspect for cracks in the aftertreatment diesel oxidation catalyst cell walls.
  • Inspect for soot or oil plugging the front face of the catalyst
  • Replace the SCR Catalyst

Now Cummins has a new test that may assist in pinpointing the issue of these components it is the Dynamic Engine Systems Analysis tool

The Dynamic Engine System Analysis is a diagnostic test used to identify malfunctioning engine and aftertreatment system components. When initiated, the test will increase engine rpm to 950 rpm for approximately 20 minutes, raise rpm to 1700 briefly, return to idle briefly, resume 950 rpm for approximately 15 minutes, then increase rpm to 1700 for approximately 10 minutes. When the test concludes, the engine will return to idle.

During the test process, the tool will test a number of systems, sensors, actuators, and other components. The Dynamic Engine System Analysis test will display either pass, fail, inspect, or not tested status for all systems tested at both the mid-point and conclusion of the test.

The Dynamic Engine System Analysis will take approximately 30 minutes to run to the mid-point, and approximately 60 minutes to complete.

The Dynamic Engine System Analysis tool is a sofware program that can be downloaded from the INSITE™ electronic service tool website (www.insite.cummins.com)

There is no cost to install or license the Dynamic Engine System Analysis tool if downloaded from Insite.cummins.com

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Daniel Wilson
Followed your recommendation and found the DEF doser and supply line blocked with crystallized deposits. Tested DEF. Changed both doser and line, tested, codes went inactive 3 min after start up, cleared and test drove 20 miles with no issue. Thanks