Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a c10 cat in a 2000 built. The engine wont start

I have a c10...

I have a c10 cat in a 2000 peter built. The engine wont start unless we us starting fluid. after its started it runs great. during cranking we have about 35 psi fuel pressure. While cranking the motor the ECM read 12 volts on the batteries but 0 oil pressure. When its running the oil pressure shows 36psi at idle. The ECM has been replaced and the injectors have also been replaced. We have replaced the speed sensor on the front of the motor and the oil sensor that is below and behind the fuel filter

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

The truck is a model 357. I can't get the other information till tomorrow.

12/11/2017
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Can you get me your engine serial number?
I will get the serial number in the morning. thanks
No problem at all.I suspect you have low voltage to ecm while cranking. I’ve seen this many times.
35 psi is enough fuel pressure to start. Since you have new injectors. I suspect the voltage to the ecm is dropping below 7.5 volts. This can be caused by poor connection, weak batteries, or a starter pulling to much Amps.
To verify I like to connect a separate power supply to the ecm. If it starts. You’ll know it’s low voltage.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
The serial number of the motor is 3cs05383. I assume the smaller wires that come down to the batteries are used to supply the ECM, I have connected them to a separate battery but the engine still will not start.
Thanks for the information.
Can you tell me if there has been any major work done to the engine before this started?
Also, can you get me the personality software number?
These engines have 3 different software files. If the engine has the wrong software. It will be hard starting.
There has not been any major work done to the motor. How do I get the personality software
If you have Cat ET software. The personality module software number will be on the first screen. Also known as the summary screen. It’s also located in configuration
I don't have ET cat software. I only have a Nexas diagnostic tool. (Glorified code reader)
I see. Thanks for the information.
I suspect the ecm has the wrong software. I’ve seen this many times. The difference in the software is the crank sensor software strategy. Your engine has a chopper wheel on the crankshaft. All the engine made later do not. If you have newer engine software. It will be hard starting. The only way to confirm is know the PM software number.
Ok. I will get some over to read the PM software number. What should the number be?
Let me get the list. Be back shortly.

It should have one of the following.

(###) ###-####/p>(###) ###-####/p>(###) ###-####/p>(###) ###-####/p>(###) ###-####/p>(###) ###-####/p>(###) ###-####/p>(###) ###-####/p>
Thanks I will have some get to this as soon as I can. May be a day or two
No problem at all.
Thank you the truck starts now. It won't rev up but the mechanic that made the necessary changes said he needs to update his software to add a factory password (I think that's what he said) and all should work.
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert