Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

1999 Peterbilt with Cummins n14 -- engine is loping, like a…

Customer Question
1999 Peterbilt with Cummins n14 --...
1999 Peterbilt with Cummins n14
-- engine is loping, like a miss but has great pull and power, its just at an idle i can hear it lope.. no fault codes present,.. did accelerated cylinder test and all cylinders were above 21 by a good bit, did manual cut off at an idle and it was hard to tell but i could hear the change at each cutout, also did it accelerated at 1000 rpms and i could also hear the change.
--I have a 5 gallon bucket of fuel to the pump direct and its still the same.. compucheck fitting and the 90 degree fitting going in to the pump showed 0psi on fuel gauge, took it of and put a 1/8in pipe plug and it cleared up a tiny bit, still loping though... compucheck fitting on pump next to cutoff solenoid is showing 120 psi at an idle....
-- already ran a complete rack adjustment while cold, sat over night, same adjustment ive done for years on this truck, did not see or feel anything unordinary in adjustment..HELP
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/7/2017
Technician: Wayne, Journeyman replied 7 months ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

how many miles on the injectors ??

Less than 10000. I've put 6 new injectors already

Hi

Thank you for the response

what about the injector harness

did you do the wiggle test ??

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi ,My name is ***** ***** there is a request for a new professional? I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, bare with me while I review your information. Im not an employee of the site but I help on here as time allows in between jobs. Response time will vary depending on my work load , etc each day. Did you still need help with this?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

If all injectors are new take exhaust temps for a cold cylinder and also check for aeration between the tank and pump and on the return using a clear hose or sight glass. Let me know the results. It still can be possible to have an injector problem out of the box. The other common problem is ECM injector drivers or an injector harness issue. Try to obtain a test ECM ( Known good) to help confirm or condemn an ECM driver issue. Let me know

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits mytime helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 starand bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Tried ECM from other unit and still same issue, suction hooked up to 5 gallon bucket direct to pump, return to a bucket with no bubbles, already replaced pump... did a wiggle test on every harness I could..
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Thanks for the update. If the rack is right on check the exhaust temps to see if there is a cold cylinder. How many miles since the last in frame? STC engine?

2 years on inframe. Not sure on mileage, not STC injectors . And the rack adjustments is the same one I've always used on it.... would bad rings cause a idle miss, but still have good power once it gets going ?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

It is possible to cause an imbalance, also timing, air or restrictions in the fuel system, etc. Click this link for a troubleshooting guide.

Troubleshooting

Run through the checks covered in the guide.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Wish you and yours a great holidays. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.