Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a western unimount plow hooked everything up and it…

Customer Question
I have a western...

I have a western unimount plow hooked everything up and it goes up left and right but not down

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I have no idea I bought it off craigslist and everything is worn off

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. When it wouldn’t go down It seemed like it wasn’t getting power to valve 1 so I hooked up 12v and it did go down I ran a whole new line from valve 1 to controller and still nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that’s it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/6/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Any voltage to the lowering valve solenoid from the controller? Have you checked the switches in the controller?

when pin 6 is not hooked up the indicator light is off everything else still works when I run a jumper from pin 1 to pin 6 I lose all voltage at pin 6
I get 12v of power on all the switches in the controller and the grounds all read about 1.5 except the lowering its double around 3-4v

Do you have any kind of wiring diagram showing the plug and its source.

Is this 9 pin plug? See schematics in link below.

It’s all custom I bought New 6 pin plugs and wired myself according to those schematics

Which schematic are yu using?

Is controller new or came with plow? Switches all good?

It’s used didn’t come with plow came from a different as far as I can tell all the switches are good they all receive 12v

When you jump a pin with voltage and you lose voltage, usually the wire that you connect to has a bad connection and circuit is not complete.

I thought the same thing but I ran a whole new line with just the one connection now I know it has a good connection now

How is the ground to the lowering valve?

It must be good cause all 3 valves are grounded together and the others work even still I ran a new ground line as well from s1 to the motor still nothing

Did you swap any of the coils?

still nothing. It’s so weird it goes down when I hook a battery float charger plugged into an outlet and hook the ground to the motor and touch the power to the valve

Do you get voltage from the controller for the down function? If not, I would be looking at the switch.

The switch in the controller reads 12v on 1 pin and -3.4v on the other pin is it possible to run everything to a single switch inside the cab not to the controller
By everything I mean s1 only to a switch

A series of toggle switches would work the same as the controller.

I guess I will try a toggle switch for s1 (lowering) and use the controller for up left and right only

I don't see why that won't work!

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician