Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I'm having an oil leak and i don't know where it's coming…

Customer Question
I'm having an oil...

I'm having an oil leak and i don't know where it's coming from

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

LEE18427

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried stop leak but the leak continue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

The leak is coming from the center it seems and when I'm driving in motion it seems to fly back and hit the rest of the parts of the truck

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
12/3/2017
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 6 months ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
I see it’s coming from the Center. Is it the center on top of the head? Or Center on the right or left side?
Looks like it's in the center on the bottom that's where the oil seems to be coming from I'm loosing about 2 gallons of oil a week
Thanks for the information.
The Center bottom of the block? Or oil pan? Right of left side?
I requested you to call me
Looks like the oil pan
Thanks for the information.
Most often the leak is coming from the oil cooler area. Often it’s a failed O ring. I see this a lot. It could also be a cracked oil pan but that’s very rare. I would clean off the top side of the oil pan and see if it’s running down from the oil cooler and oil filter housing. If it is. The assembly will need to be resealed.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
It seems to be a little bit on the left side
Thanks for the information.
If from the left. Could be the oil pan gasket or a cracked pan. I would clean off the top of the pan and run the engine. It should be easy to see where it’s coming from.
It's hard to tell because as I'm driving it flying all over the place but I see more oil on left side of my truck air tanks and battery box compared to the right side
But what is confusing is as the truck sets and idles it seems to be coming from the center I see spots of oil underneath the center area
What is the purpose of the oil pan itself and the gasket and as the oil of circulating as you're driving is it leaking out through there as I'm driving
Thanks for the information.
The oil pan just holds the oil supply. Your right. Sometimes it’s hard to see if it’s flying around. But many times you can let the engine idle and see it
But if you have a worn or bad oil pan gasket will the oil just leak from there to a point where you could be losing 1 to 2 gallons a week or is it something that could be coming from somewhere else?
Also you mentioned a steel o ring what side of the motor would that be coming from?
An oil pan gasket can leak a lot. There are several o rings on the filter and oil cooler assembly.
What is the easiest way to tell which one it is?
The easiest way is to use a brake cleaner to remove the oil from the engine or a steam cleaner. Then run the engine. If you are losing that much oil. You should be able to see it run down.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Where would you look to check to see if it is the O-ring how would I be able to tell if that's it where would I need to start looking
If oil is running down from the oil filter housing. It’s an o ring. I see this the most on the C13 engine.
I see that it is running down that way I can see it on my filters
Is that going to be an expensive fix also is that why I'm losing a lot of oil? If the O-ring he's bad like that that will leak a lot of oil out?
Not too expensive. The assembly will just need to be removed and resealed.
Also can it leak from that side which is where my filters are which is on the right side and come and fly on to the left side of the motor and their tanks and the rest of the left side?
it can. When oil is coming down. The wind can blow it everywhere.
Cuz they're also be a possibility that both are leaking oil pan gasket and o-ring or if that was the case I'd be losing a lot more oil?
it’s possibly. But oil pan gasket don’t leak that often. O ring do
where is the O-ring located on my motor at least for where the common leak is?
It’s normally the two that connect to the engine block.
I'm assuming that's the bottom of the motor I'm not really mechanically inclined LOL when I go to the shop next week is that what I should have them look at?
I’d have them look at the filter base. They should know what to do.
Does the filter base consists of that O-ring part and also to will they be able to spot other potential leaks as well in that particular area
It’s best to have the entire assembly resealed and all o rings replaced. If one is leaking. The others are soon to follow.
How many O-rings does a C13 motor have also if I were to replace and reseal all of them could that be pretty costly?
Should be 6 prongs total. The entire assembly will need to be removed. Replacing one is about the same as all.
Do you know the amount of hours of Labor that will possibly take according to a manuel?
Around 8 hours.
Ok that's what I was thinking if it's not the o ring which I would be shocked what else do you think it could be cat man?
Could be a cracked housing but that’s very rare. Most likely an o ring.
Is a cracked housing is that when it's getting too serious of a problem
But it’s rare they crack.
What is the problem with the O-ring that's allowing it to lose so much oil?
They just get old and dry rot. Then start leaking.
But when one starts to go that's why you recommend to change all of them?
I do see oile on the block on the side where my filters are
that’s correct.
Once I fix the O-rings what are the chances of this occurring again?
Should
Be good after repair.
Could i last about another week or two as long as I'm keeping oil in the truck until I can get to the shop and get this replaced?

Yes. As long as you keep oil in it. It will be fine.