Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

The oil in the coolant reservoir is black. oil level is

Customer Question
Hi, the oil in...

Hi, the oil in the coolant reservoir is black. oil level is good, no sign of coolant in oil. no sign of coolant in transmission oil but there is oil in my coolant reservoir.o ring changes, injector cups replaced and resealed.lines flushed and it still leaks. have not removed lower oil pan because I do not see the connection to this problem? pls advise.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?

2010 Cascadia.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

Oil cooler was tested with pressure at 40psi and it held. No fail?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 4 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

what engine???

detroit

60?? dd13, dd15 dd16????

DD15

ok, thanks

it most likely is the oil cooler module gasket or the module itself. very common issue. it can be pressure tested but in operation it will fail. 40 lbs is not enough. oil pressure runs up to 60 lbs and better.

was it removed and inspected???? have replaced many of these for this exact issue.

Roy

THE MODULE? OR GASKET?
How can we pressure test the gasket?

the gasket is the most common failure.

you cannot. it is a one piece gasket. when you remove the module, you can see where the leak is at. the lower center section is where the failure is usually located

Roy

sure, a new gasket was installed when it was removed to be pressure tested...

ok you never told me it was removed to be tested. thats what I asked.

if the system was flushed and the leak continues then the module itself is your issue.

you will need to replace the module.

Roy

the o ring and injector cup reseals were also changed. Do u think am chasing shadows?

no, with the volume of oil in the coolant, it is a module issue.

if the cups were the issue, you would also have fuel in the coolant

Roy

the oil been black, it suspected to be from the transmission? do u think same?

it is possible the trans cooler is the issue if you think it is trans fluid.

you would also have coolant in the trans. have you dropped the trans fluid and inspected???

but oil is clean and clear of coolant.
trans oil is clean and good

then it is not trans fluid. we are back to engine oil

yet the oil in coolant reservoir is black

yes, that is correct. when oil mixes with coolant that is the color it turns

Roy

if I change the oil cooler module, and it still shows this oil in the cooler, what else should I be worried about?
engine runs, coolant light is on but I feel something else would break if I keep driving like this.

one step at a time.

when you change it make sure the system is flushed of all oil. use all dishwasher powdered soap. flush it until it is clear.

yes, do not drive it this way. get it done as soon as you can

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

do you have any other questions??

roybelding
roybelding