Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am working on a 60 series Detroit, engine serial number…

Customer Question
I am working on a...
I am working on a 60 series Detroit, engine serial number 06r0754246, that looses power periodically. When it does the boost pressure is only 1-2 psi. The problem is troubleshooting it because it only does it every once in a while. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/30/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is ***** ***** be glad to help. What fault codes you have logged?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

What year truck is this in and is it an EGR engine? Do you know if its DDEC 2, 3, 4, 5, etc?

Only code is for the vnt for turbo. It only sets while your driving and at full acceleration. It’s is an egr engine because it has two vpods. Not sure on year and ddec version. Would have to get that info tomorrow when I get back to the shop.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

If you can get the code number andt the DDEC version it will be a big help. Your problem is sounding like it might be a VNT turbo or actuator issue if there is no leaks or restrictions in the boost piping.

I’ll hook up to it in the morning to check inactive faults.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Okay. Let me know what is logged.

Engine manufacture date is November 2003. Logged codes are sid147 fmi2 and sid147 fmi14. Not sure on ddec version. I would think either 4 or 5.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

VNT Vanes SID 147 FMI 7 – VNT Vanes not responding – EGR SID 147 FMI 2 – VNT Vanes not responding – Boost Power SID 147 FMI 12 – VNT Vanes not responding – Jake Power SID 147 FMI 14 – EGR Flow too low 147/7 – Occurs if error in actual EGR rate vs desired EGR rate (Actual - Desired) during EGR mode operation. This FMI signifies excessive EGR flow. This fault will lock boost mode operation and illuminate the CEL for the remainder of the ignition cycle if the actual is greater than the desired. 147/2 – Occurs if error in actual boost vs desired boost during Power Boost mode operation. This fault will illuminate the CEL for the duration of the fault being active. 147/12 – Occurs if error in actual boost vs desired boost during Jake Boost mode operation. This fault will illuminate the CEL for the duration of the fault being active. 147/14 – Occurs if error in actual EGR rate vs desired EGR rate (Desired - Actual) during EGR mode operation. This FMI signifies low EGR flow. This fault will illuminate the CEL for the duration of the fault being active.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

This can be a plugged/faulty EGR system/valve as well as a problem with the VNT turbo and actuator operation. check for both and confirm the actuator is functioning properly. Let me know

The actuator does move when you cycle the key switch.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 7 months ago

Inspect the VNT turbo and vanes for full movement and the actuator for proper calibration and operation