Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a cummins M-11 with fuel in the return line, I have…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a cummins M-11 with fuel in the return line, I have run test tank direct to the pump, all fuel filters by passed, new injectors and new fuel pump no correction, now pulled head to check for crack in head where injectors seat and head looks good? no idea what to do now Thanks Mike

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1999 STERLING VIN# ***** Model #L9513

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/29/2017
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 7 months ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** Can we start with the engine serial number please? And do you mean air in the return line? or coolant?

Air in return line yes "fuel" M11 L6 (661 CID) SER# *****

Thanks

This engine is an ISM CM570.

I will look up troubleshooting for this.

it’s a ISM

Are you still connected straight to the fuel pump with a different fuel tank and are seeing bubbles?

we were connected from a 5 gallon jug of fuel, direct short fuel line with inline site glass direct to fuel pump to insure no filter or lines are in the way or possible causes of air in fuelstarted with multiple miss fire codes on fuel injectors and replaced all 6 under warrantyreplaced fuel pump as it was original and replacement was something we had to rule out after injectors were replaced and problem persistedrunning with new injectors and new or old fuel pump directly connected to the fuel cell "no lines or filters" we still have air coming out return lines

I will send info from the manual:

Are you sure it is air in the return line ? And not just the way it's trickling slowly out of the return line going down towards the tank. I would try to prove that it is air in the fuel by disconnecting the return line to tank. Instead connect a flexible line from the fitting on the head and run it up to a pail on top of the engine. Run the engine like this with the return line heading upwards and into the bucket . Run engine with the return line down in the bottom of the bucket until fuel level rises . Keep the line below the level. Are there bubble present that way?

It is possible that there is so little returning to the tank that there is not enough filling the line on the way down and so it may seem like air.

Hi there . Just looking for an update on this. Have you tried what I recommended?

Is there anything else you needed? Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end. Thanks