Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

My truck is not starting. It's battery has been draining…

Customer Question
My truck is not starting...
My truck is not starting. It's battery has been draining every night.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/26/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Make and model? Battery age? Is charging system working? Battery drain can be short, or a bad alternator or something left on.

1999 f250 7.3l batteries are less than 2 years old. Alt reads normal when it's running.
It's on my charger now, has been for an hour and nothing, it will turn half over then click click.

Read battery voltage when trying to crank, check both batteries,

I suspect you have one bad battery.

I have 12 v in both, that drops to 10 volts with glow plug 7 when cranking.
I was having this issue this summer, I replaced on battery, drivers side still had issue so I switched them, I didn't have any problem for a couple months, till it got cold. It's 28 degrees.

Seven volts is just marginal, and I doubt it will start with that low of voltage. A fully charged 12-volt battery would be close to 13.5 volts, and would not drop so low.

I know that...

The rapid clicking, after trying to start is low voltage to the solenoid, and the only cure is going to be new batteries!

why is it losing charge? I don't leave anything on, and why is it not starting even on boost? Not starting after charging it for an hour and a half now.It turned over like a champ once when I first tried today, once. Then these half turn overs.
One of the batteries is not even 4 months old, the other is less than 2 years, and that still doesn't answer why they would be dead that fast. Putting new batteries would not be a perminate fix.

The engine has to be running to test the alternator and test for short. You have to get the voltage up, may need a higher amp charger?

It's a 125 amp booster.

Batteries, cables or starter is not working for you, for good start. With 125 amp booster, it should be spinning fast!

I've got a running car on one battery and the booster on the other

!! Cables all good, no corrosion or bad connections? Maybe just weak starter!

It only does this the first time I start it everyday. It can sit for 5 hours and it will start like a champ, but 12 hours it's finiky.

Do you use an engine heater or just the glow plugs?

Both. it has a block heater
It wouldn't have a hard time stating in the mid 20s tho, it didn't last year.
Shouldn't *

I'm thinking that the starter may be bad! With good batteries and good cables, glow plug and engine heater, it should start!

The amp draw could be checked going to the starter.

That would explain why it's losing charge.

Starter would only affect start, not draw any amps with engine off.

How?

How? how it affects start? The starter windings are shorted and would draw too many amps when trying to start.

How do I check the draw.

You will need an ammeter that goes around the cable, or one you can put in the cable. Clamp type or one that you lay on the cable is the easiest to use.

I picked one up.

OK>

I disconnected the batteries, charged them, it started perfectly.How do I find what's draining my batteries?

Start unplugging items, until batteries show no voltage draw. Start with the alternator, and visually do a walk around looking for any lights that may be on. Like brake lights that stick on.

How can I tell if I have draw?

You can use a voltmeter , or just touch cable to the battery , to see if you get sparks, no spark, no short.