Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 1975 gmc coach with a 8V71 detroit that wont start.

Customer Question

I have a 1975 gmc coach with a 8V71 detroit that wont start. Im charging the batteries and i put new connectors on the batteries but it wont even attempt
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Im looking for the serial number. I know its gm pd4106
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes the bus started well yesterday and we parked it last night but it will not start like i said previously. The batteries may be drained completely. Its an automatic 8v71 detroit in a 1975 GMC motorhome
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Do you have a test voltmeter, to test battery voltage? Cable ends clean and tight at the batteries? Can you go to the starter solenoid and jump from the battery terminal, to the small switch terminal and see if the starter will engage?

Is the instrument panel lighting up? Is transmission in neutral, neutral switch would keep the engine from starting.