Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have 2008 international with a maxxforce dt engine having…

Customer Question
Hi I have 2008 international...
Hi I have 2008 international with a maxxforce dt engine having problems when revving the engine it acts like it's starving for fuel I've replaced the o rings on the lines to my low pressure fuel pump checked lines for leaks engine starts fine and idle fine what could be the problem
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/22/2017
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 7 months ago
Alex Olsen

hi im alex, could i have the last 8 of your vin please

8A641132
No signs of bubbles in the fuel canister and also replaced the low pressure fuel pump
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 7 months ago

thank you, ***** ***** checked fuel pressure?

When I checked it whith the scan tool fuel pressure was above 50psi
Maybe I need to get a pressure reading with a gauge
Technician: Alex Olsen,
 replied 7 months ago

yes i would check with a gauge at the fuel rail

Ok I'll have to get back with u when I get a chance to check it out I'm not around the bus at the moment wont get back to it till Saturday I filled the canister with fuel and it leaks back down past the line that comes from the low pressure fuel pump this is a new complete fuel canister also checked ebp sensor , new mat sensor and new map sensor also it does not flash any codes either
Hey Alex and when I checked fuel pressure what are the readings suppose to be on the fuel rail and do I check it from the schrader valve that's above the intake manifold
hey alex I replaced the fuel canister again and the bus started and idle fine rev the rpms several times but after a while I rev the engine again after letting it run for about 20 minutes rev it up and ease off the accelerator the engine died started right back up and the same response after about 4 times it now cranks and wont start
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 6 months ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** Have we checked for fault codes? Some codes do not turn on the engine lamp but may be the issue. Here is the procedure:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/878y9jy4bxlmy3n/optional%20fault%20code%20retrieval.txt?dl=0

The readings on the fuel rail at the schrader valve should be a steady 60 psi throughout all ranges ( low idle , high idle no load and full load ). There should also be no aeration in the fuel there either. If there is , it could be coming from the suction side or it could also be a loose fuel injector ( combustion leaking into the fuel rail inside the head )