Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Lever at governor suddenly will not rotate .engin only will…

Customer Question
Lever at governor suddenly...

Lever at governor suddenly will not rotate .engin only will idle cannot increase engin speed.what could be broken?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Motor cat 3304. Ser#41K1870. 1971 year. Compact fuel system.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

May fix myself. Have only disconnected accelerator linkage to determine that lever will not rotate.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only what could be broken inside to keep lever from rotating.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/21/2017
Technician: cat_engines_only, Other replied 7 months ago
cat_engines_only

Are you sure it will not rotate? Does it pull back to shut down the engine?

The internal latch for the shutoff could be broken. Also, if it is equipped, the low oil pressure latch could have it locked.

Have you check the oil pressure?

I found this is a 930 loader, is this correct?

I am not familiar with the term "compact fuel system" Do you mean it is sleev metered or scroll type fuel system?

Does it have glow plugs or direct injection?

Can you upload a picture of the fuel system or describe the appearance?

On earlier engines, when the engine is started, the speed limiter plunger restricts the movement of the governor control linkage. When operating oil pressure is reached, the plunger in the speed limiter retracts and the governor control can be moved to the HIGH IDLE position. This is mainly for scroll fuel systems.

Will get back to you with information tomorrow or Friday.Raining very hard right now and machine outside.Thanks for your patience.
Ok, thanks for keeping me updated.
Stopped raining went out to check out your questions and happened to see a piece of dabree under the heel of the accelerator .removed it and wow problem solved! Runs fine. Something for you to file away in your memory banks. That's one more question you can ask dummies like me.Thanks for your help.Bruce K.

It is always the simple things we overlook. That is why I was asking about moving the lever on the fuel system.

Once it is disconnected, you would have seen where the issue was located.

Either way, I am glad you have found the problem.

If you wish, you can contact customer service and get a full refund of your deposit.

Just remember we are here and will be glad to help if you do need us.

Thanks for trying JustAnswer,

CATMASTERTECH