Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

I have a towing with a 3126 cat engine, it turns but won't

i have a towing with...
i have a towing with a 3126 cat engine , it turns but won't start unless i put brake cleaner
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 2002 gmc topkick 6500 diesel
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: ok tyhank you
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: if it has been a few days that i did not start i have to use brake cleaner to start it
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Does the engine stay running after using the brake cleaner?
Does the yellow check engine light come on when the key is turned to the on position?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
once i start with the brake cleaner it stays running, and yes the yellow check engine light comes on
Thanks for the information.
There are two things I have seen cause this.
The first and most common is a faulty engine speed timing sensor. You engine has two. One is the primary start and the other is the primary run. When the lower primary start fails. The engine will not start and by using starting fluid, the rpm rises enough for the high speed run sensor to take over. They come as a pair and are located on the drivers side of the engine in the back of the front cover.
Second is low injection actuation pressure. This is caused by a faulty iapcv, Heui pump, or leaking injector.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
then that would be why when i start if some times blows black smoke by the exhaust
It’s best to try and get the codes from the ecm to help determine which is going on. Here is how to pull them with the cruise control switches.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Cat Man
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert