Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am on a 2009 Peterbilt with a Cummins ISX (ESN 79340396)

The customer concern is the...
I am on a 2009 Peterbilt with a Cummins ISX (ESN 79340396) The customer concern is the engine overheats. I see a new fan clutch and blade are installed and customer states new thermostats were installed. I found the auto cycle does not seem to work at all and the manual function fails when engine temp exceeds 220. The fan operates correctly with the A/C and when the A/C is on the customer reports no overheat concern. I preformed the fan test with Insite and the test passed below 220 degrees but fails as soon as the temp exceeds 220. I can't seem to find anything in Insite to tell me if the ECM is commanding the fan on? I also checked the voltage at the solenoid when the fan did not function, no voltage was found. Where to look next?
11/20/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. Are there any fault codes logged in the ECM history?

All inactive codes
0197 count 2 coolant level
2646 count 1 coolant temp
2963 count 1 coolant temp
2448 count 5 coolant level
2387 count 10 VGT actuator drive circuit
3616 count 2 engine VGT nozzle position
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Thanks for the info... Let me run through these and put some thoughts together for you

Thank you
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

If the sensor wiring and sensors check out okay and the coolant level is a non issue I would check the current ECM calibration as there could be a software related problem requiring updates. Also for the 2387

VGT Actuator Driver Circuit (Motor) - Mechanical System Not Responding Properly or Out of Adjustment. The smart VGT controller has detected incorrect stop limits, or the VGT is unable to move to the closed position.
The variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) is electronically activated by the VGT actuator. The VGT actuator is a smart device that receives information via the J1939 data link from the primary engine ECM. The VGT actuator performs its own diagnostics and reports errors back to the primary engine ECM using the J1939 data link.
Component Location
The VGT actuator is located on the turbocharger bearing housing. Conditions for Running the Diagnostics
This diagnostic runs continuously when the keyswitch is in the ON position or when the engine is running.
Conditions for Setting the Fault Codes
This fault code is set when the actual VGT actuator position does
not
meet the commanded position for more than 10 seconds.
Action Taken When the Fault Code is Active
The ECM illuminates the amber CHECK ENGINE light immediately when the diagnostic runs and fails.The VGT actuator will continue to attempt to meet commanded position even when the CHECK ENGINE lamp is on. Active and stationary regeneration of the aftertreatment system are disabled.
Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code
The ECM will turn off the amber CHECK ENGINE light immediately after the diagnostic runs and passes at initial key ON.
Shop Talk
Verify the ECM calibration is correct. Check the calibration revision history found on QuickServe™ Online for applicable fixes to thecalibration stored in the ECM. If necessary, calibrate the ECM.Refer to Procedure 019-032 in Section 19.This fault code is set when the actual VGT actuator position does
not
meet the commanded position for more than 10 seconds.Large boost pressure leaks can also cause this fault code.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Take a close look at the temp sensors and wiring if the T stats are new and also shoot the temps with a temp reader to confirm temp accuracy to the sensor readings. It wouldnt be a bad Idae to flush the cooling system with Cascade powder dishwashing detergent and water, run to temp 20 minutes, drain and repeat as necessary with a final straight water flush.

Let me know the results and we can follow up as needed.

I will let you kow
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Pleasure to help

Ok, Verified harness and changed the temp sender out. Had the ECM re flashed and updated , Still no cooling fan.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Thanks for the update , It works normal with the AC on and all parameters in Insite are set and okay for the fan. The wiring harness checks okay in the fan circuit with 100% certainty?

I just returned from the holiday and I am getting a few things caught up. Should we start a new order as the concern still exists!
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

We can continue on here.

Daniel Wilson
Ok, So I have noticed a couple other things as well that the customer did not mention. It has aftermarket cruise control that does not function and the secondary air pressure gauge is random from 60 psi to pegged regardless the actual pressure. I will be giving you every bit of information I have to be as helpful as I can.ESN###-##-####
The first scan before we attempted any repairs had these codes;
Fault Code Status Count Lamp Description PID SID J1587 J1939 SPN
0197 Inactive 2 Amber Coolant level 111 1 18 (###) ###-#### Inactive 1 Amber Coolant temp 110 14 31 (###) ###-#### Inactive 1 None Coolant temp 110 0 15 (###) ###-#### Inactive 5 Maintenance Coolant level 111 1 17 (###) ###-#### Inactive 10 Amber VGT driver 27 7 7 (###) ###-#### Inactive 2 None VGT nozzle 27 7 7 2633Scan #2 After sensor was replaced and harness was ohmed, A/C was proven, ECM was re-flashed and all updated were installed.Fault Code Status Count Lamp Description PID SID J1587 J1939 SPN
2963 Active 2 None Coolant temp 110 0 15 (###) ###-#### Inactive 1 None VGT nozzle pos 27 7 7 2633
2448 Inactive 1 Maintenance Coolant level 111 1 17 (###) ###-#### Inactive 30 Amber VGT actuator 27 7 7 (###) ###-#### Inactive 2 Amber Coolant temp 110 14 31 110Scan #3 after codes were cleared and two test drives were preformedFault Code Status Count Lamp Description PID SID J1587 J1939 SPN
3616 Active 1 None VGT nozzle 27 7 7 2633The body module scan gave this information; Current hours are 11640Fault Code Status Description Hours Count
7703 Inactive Open in rear drive axle oil temp circuit 54 8
7704 Inactive Short in rear drive axle oil temp circuit 5 126
8409 Inactive Wheel based vehicle speed message missing 844 84
9109 Inactive Accelerator pedal position message missing 844 81
10703 Inactive Open in air filter restriction circuit 54 6
11603 Inactive Open in application air pressure circuit 136 1
11604 Inactive Short in application air pressure circuit 51 7
11804 Inactive Short in secondary air pressure circuit 10918 1
15802 Inactive Ignition power is in an indeterminate state 7 68
15803 Inactive 12v is on control unit ignition pin but not on cluster ignition pin 9223 4
16800 Inactive Over voltage 51 6
16801 Inactive Under voltage for more than 10 minutes 9211 2
17103 Inactive Open in outside air temp circuit 51 7
CONTINUED *************17104 Inactive Short in outside air temp circuit 9223 126
17703 Inactive Open in transmission oil temp 54 22
18409 Inactive Instantaneous Fuel economy message missing 844 79
19009 Inactive Engine speed message missing 844 67
24510 Inactive Odometer offset has been recalculated 1606 2
24709 Inactive Engine total hours of operation missing 64 31
24809 Inactive Total PTO hours message missing 4 126
57803 Inactive Open in forward drive axle oil temp circuit 9223 6
57804 Inactive Short in forward drive axle oil temp circuit 5 126
59631 Inactive Cruise control rationality check 50 9
82903 Inactive Open in primary fuel level circuit 10 18
82904 Inactive Short in primary fuel level circuit 428 126
91709 Inactive High resolution vehicle distance message 846 35
97403 Active Open in remote accelerator circuit 2 ###-##-#### Inactive Total engine PTO fuel used message missing 4 ###-##-#### Inactive Control unit cannot read message from cluster on I-CAN 2 ###-##-#### Inactive Control unit cannot read message from ABS on V-CAN 10196 3
148309 Inactive Control unit cannot read message from engine on V-CAN 846 63
257903 Inactive Open in ammeter sensor circuit 2642 1
257904 Inactive Short in ammeter sensor circuit 54 8In JPRO the scan reports;
Status Component Description lookup code FMI Count
Active Brakes Drive axle- left wheel speed sensor output low SID 3 14 6
Active Brakes Drive axle- left wheel speed sensor open or shorted SID 3 2 18
Active Cab controller SAE- total engine PTO governor fuel used SPN 1028 9 126
Active Cab controller SAE- total PTO hours abnormal update rate SPN 248 9 126
Active Cab controller SAE- remote accelerator pedal position voltage above normal SPN 974 3 126
Inactive Brakes J1939 retarder flash code 11-2 SID 231 14 8
Inactive Engine Engine VGT not responding or out of adjust 3616 N/A 1
First occurrence 11722:33:11; last occurrence 11722;33;11
The concern is the cooling fan does not operate in either auto or manual once the coolant temp exceeds 210 degrees. The fan works with the A/C but with ambient temp around 30 degrees it doesn't get hot enough to need the fan with the A/C on. I am in and out the next few days so sometimes Kris may respond to you. Thank You, Ron
I was able to look at this truck a bit before anyone else arrived this morning. I find the engine fan does not ever work on auto, with the exception of the A/C cycle. I find the engine fan cycles enough with the A/C on the engine will not overheat. At least not in the shop. Ron
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Thanks for the update. Check the fan inputs and outputs at the ECM to see if the ECM is getting proper signal and if so it points to an ECM hardware/software issue possibly in need of updates or an actual fan circuit wiring/ component problem. If you could access a known good ECM for test purposes that would be ideal but I know its not always possible. Let me know

Very good, It is what I thought as well. I had another assignment sidetrack me yesterday and this morning. I will see what I can find for a test ECM. Thank You! Ron
Installed the new ECM and engine harness. Had the ECM flashed to the factory perimeters. Fired the truck up with the engine fan staying on. Verified the perimeters only changing the PTO setting to Enable. I did get the truck to 180 degrees with no change. Here in North Dakota our ambient temp has been 25 degrees. -Kris
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Hi Kris, Thanks for the update. Is it throwing any codes now? Also is 180 the max temp it is achieving and the fan is constantly engaged now with and without AC on?

Upon scanning the truck I found code 2387 with 136 count (VGT Actuator Driver Circut). Cleared code and started truck. Fan kicked out at about 65 psi. Ran the truck up to 205.6 degrees on a high idle while blocking the radiator. The fan now will not turn back on even when commanded. in 52 minutes of running no codes came back. On a side note my Insite lost communication 4 times in the 52 min but reconnected upon command. (never seen that before with this laptop) -Kris
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Thanks for the update. I would take a closer look at the chassis side wiring harness and data link connections as well as your grounds.

Inspected chassis side harness with nothing apparent, data link connection solid and grounds are intact and tight. Tech turned on defroster and AC system will cycle fan. Override switch on the dash is not turning fan on
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Thanks for the update. the override switch grounds the circuit so test the grounds at the ECm and switch.

Tested grounds at ECM and switch with no problems showing. Installed the old ECM on the truck to find the symptoms gone, fan cycles at switch and fan comes on at 205 degrees kicking off at 190. Sent ECM back to dealer for reflash
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 years ago

Thanks for the update Kris. Glad to hear you got this resolved. It has been a pleasure working with you on this.