Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

My E350 van has a lot of heat and unwanted air coming in

Hello, my E350 van has...
Hello, my E350 van has a lot of heat and unwanted air coming in around the passenger feet area. Even when the vent is off lots of air, sometimes smelling slighlty of exhaust is coming in. The origin seems to be under the dash and toward the engine compartment. It blpws quite forcefully. Thabk you. Kim
11/19/2017
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you turn the temp control to cold does it still blow hot or does it change to cold air/outside air after several seconds?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hi Pete! The temperature of the air coming in stays hot all the time. After driving for a while the combined hot air and radiant heat in the passenger seating area is almost unbearable. The AC is not blowing cold air which we suspect is a leak. Thanks.

Does it always smell like exhaust?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No it does not seem to always smell like exhaust but I do think that is reated to the amount of pollution outside. For example when we are on a busy highway.

O.k.,it sounds like you may have an exhaust leak.This can come from an exhaust manifold leaking or exhaust pipe to manifold connection.This will lead to lots of heat build up in the floor area and if there are any leaks in the floor or missing grommets this will allow this heat to come inside the vehicle causing this issue.I have run across this several times before in the past.

I would have the engine checked over for any leaks in the exhaust.If any are found they will need repaired.I would also have the firewall and floor checked for any holes or missing grommets that need to be plugged to correct this.The exhaust is very hot so even a small leak will cause some pretty good heat build up in the vehicle as well as the smell in some cases.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Pete, Automotive Mechanic