Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 1994 Top kick Tandem with Cat engine. It quiit

Customer Question
I have a 1994...

I have a 1994 Top kick Tandem with Cat engine. It quiit running had ti be pulled off of scale .still full of corn for a week now. Starer was bad, New starte, new batteries and all new ignition ,relays '''' evertthing. Starter won't turn over engine. Turn key to start and volts to starter down to three volts. Will a bad Alternator affect starting? maybe bad batttery cables?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model C7H042 1GDM7H1JDRJ510497

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/19/2017
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 8 months ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter

Hi there. My name is***** am willing to bet you have really bad grounds everywhere and this is causing your issue. I would start by using a multimeter on the volts scale , and touch one lead to a positive stud and the other lead will need to be lengthened and touching the starter main battery positive stud ( large one ) . Then have someone crank it over . Your reading that you get on meter should be very low ... around 0.5 v at most. If any higher than that and you have a problem on the positive circuit to the starter.

Then , if that reading is good and under 0.5 volts, then move your lead to a negative stud on the batteries and the other lead to the starter main ground stud . Have an assistant crank it over again while watching the meter . Again the reading should be very low ...under 0.5 or less is better. If higher , then the problem is on the ground side and all grounds need to be taken apart and all cable ends need to be cleaned up properly and reconnected and secured.

Hi there. Looking for an update on this ! Do you still need help ?