Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a QSB5.9 2002 power unit that has a toggle switch as…

I have a QSB5.9...

I have a QSB5.9 2002 power unit that has a toggle switch as the throttle. I need to raise the rpms a little above what it is set at. Can I do that myself?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I will be a few

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

QSB5.9-205C

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Serial no. 46233208

11/18/2017
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. The Low idle settings are programmed in the ECM. so without Insite dealer version software you will not be able to change the settings.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

I am not looking for idle settings. I want to adjust the running max rpm. It is currently set at 1980 rpm. I want to raise it to 2200.
Currently it has an rpm setting for each flip of the toggle switch. The last is set at 1980. I want to make it hit 2200.
Can I adjust that myself? Would adding a throttle with the tps/apps going to the vp44 override the max setting?
Thanks
cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic

The maximum engine speed switch is an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installed switch that allows the operator to select a higher or lower, programmable engine speed. This means you will need to change the parameter in the ECM or update the current calibration to allow for a higher RPM setting. Your engine is rated for the 2200 RPM. Please don't forget to Rate/Accept my service.

cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic