Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2003 Peterbilt 387, with a WABCO 4S/4M ABS system.

Customer Question
I am getting code 136...
I have a 2003 Peterbilt 387, with a WABCO 4S/4M ABS system. I am getting code 136 013 5 SID (brakes power unit - Retarder Control Relay current below normal ornopen circuit. Where is the retarder relay?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/18/2017
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Give me a few to dig up some information for you

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

136 013 05 Open circuit Check continuity of the retarder relay circuit 376R. Replace the
wire if continuity does not exist. Reconfigure the ECU if the
fault message appears but no retarder is installed

How can I reconfigure the ecu?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

That you would need the dealer level software for with reprogramming/reflash capabilities

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

do you have the truck diagrams? I can help with some schematics if you need them

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

What engine is in this truck?

I don’t have any diagrams really. It’s a C15 single turbo engine. How can I be 100% sure the ecu needs to be reflashed? What if it’s just a bad ecu?
Also is it the Wabco abs computer or the actual engine ECU that needs to be reprogrammed
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

If there is no relay open or shorted then you would start with the ABS module software and reset. As far as the engine, are there any other engine fault codes and problems with the engine brake etc?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

What is the engine serial number prefix. I should have the diagrams.

128 022 13 SID is the only other code. Engine #1 timing sensor out of calibration I replaced this sensor already with a new one and the code still stayed so I let it be.. is it possibly tied to each other?
6NZ89984
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

It could be possible if the code is still active and the repairs have been made. Cat ET would be needed to reset the ECM and calibration or do any software updates

2CPXH0893ERK
is it the big ECM computer on the left side of engine? Or the WABCO abs computer that needs reprogramming?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

If interested I posted an offer for the diagrams both truck and engine

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

left side of engine is the engine ECM.... Wabco is inside the framerail

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

usually behind the cab

No mine is the basic one inside the cab by the passenger footboard
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

Thanks for the update.

Is it possible that the brakes don’t brake as well as they should because of an electrical issue?
If I take it out of gear at 60 mph and try braking, the engine revs up and the brakes don’t brake near well enough to stop. If going about 20 moh, it breaks really well.. the brakes are almost new and fresh adjusted.. how is this tied into the abs?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

The braking should be done through the engine brake and drive train to assist. It is never advised to brake from neutral as the air brakes can heat up and glaze.

But is the abs or electronics tied into the situation of weak braking?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

It can be if the ABS module is effecting brake application resulting from a problem

But my abs never worked and I’ve had this truck for 5 years. The braking issues started recently and the part I don’t get is the engine revs high when braking
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

I understand. That sounds like either something is throwing off the engine ECM signals or the ECM might have a software issue... Cat ET and connected monitoring the sensor values/parameters in live data will tell us if another signal might be throwing off the ECM signals or if the ECM software might have a problem, etc. This would require further troubleshooting monitoring this in live data.

That... and thousands of dollars at the rate the dealer works
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

Unless you know someone with Cat ET you can borrow?

No.. I’ll have the ECU reprogrammed Tuesday and see if that resolves the issue or not. I’m actually doubting it. Do you know of any shops near Anderson or Greenville SC area that could do it for cheaper than the dealer?
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

that I do not as I am in New England. I could only do a web search for your area.

Lol ok. I’ll let you know if that fixes it
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 5 months ago

Sounds good. Keep me posted and enjoy your weekend.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

Hello, I didn’t yet as the dealership had a long wait line with the holiday. But I have an appointment Monday to get it reprogrammed. In the meantime I been changing other stuff as in brake valves and chambers.. I realized that when I brake with the Wabco computer disconnected, the engine doesn’t rev.. if I connect it and brake, the engine revs as if it’s about to blow
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

Thanks for the update.Sounds like it is internal in the Wabco computer. Let me know the results

Spent $275 at the dealer to get the ECM reprogrammed and it didn’t change the check engine light nor abs light.. also spent $70 on just answer with no luck on fixing it
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi Alex, Did you do anything with the wabco ABS controller?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 4 months ago

did you test the retarder relay circuit as mentioned with an OHM meter for open circuits,etc? I can suggest what needs to be tested to corner and isolate the problem as that is part of troubleshooting but to expect a diagnosis without these test results is like asking a doctor to diagnose without lab, x ray, cat scan, symptom info, etc. , and other test results. There is no canned answer or diagnosis. Test, confirm, isolate the problem.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi Alex, Did you get this resolved? I see this is still open. Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Wish you and yours a great holidays. It's been a pleasure working with you on this.

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

Hello,I see this is still open with no response from you. Would a call be easier for you? Ill send over the offer to get that set up. I am trying to close out my open questions and get them resolved. If you have resolved this please let me know. Im not an employee of the site and my time is valuable as is yours. The site only credits me a portion of the question value on accepted answers and positive feedback. I see neither has happened here. I took the time to post and research this information for you. Could you do the same for me?Take the time to either post a response with a status or leave a rating if your problem is resolved? It's been a pleasure to help.

No. The issue is still active. And there is no retarder relay. That’s what I’m trying to explain it’s calling for something that’s not there. Not the dealer not anyone I talk to knows of a retarder relay on that truck. But they sure did love me paying them bills getting reprogramming and stuff and it not fixing anything.
Technician: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 months ago

Thanks for the update. How does the ABS braking system work currently as well as the engine brake?

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson