Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 2005 4300 DT466 running rough, black smoke, no

power & hardly accelerates sputters...
I have a 2005 4300 DT466 running rough, black smoke, no power & hardly accelerates sputters & dies out. At idle, voltage check on injectors I'm reading a fluctuating 40v to as high as 120v. the middle X-1 connector on the IDM was soaked with engine oil. Isn't the IDM only supposed to supply 48v to the injectors? If so, how could it go as high as 120v?
11/18/2017
Daniel Wilson

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. What do you have logged for fault codes?

123456 injectors FMI 5, 221 FMI 4 & 254 FMI 6
I'm not in the shop now till Monday, so no phone call right now. thanks

Sid 221- fmi 4- flash code 534. Idm voltage low
Sid 254- fmi 6- flash code 525 injector driver circuit fault *m*

Check the 5 a fuse in the fuse box and at the idm connector (white one) pins 1,2,3,22,26 for ground. Pins 4,23,24,25 for main power. Pins 8 which has a 10 amp fuse in the box, also pin 7 which has 5 amp fuse in the box and pin 27 check as well. There is a idm relay in the fuse box that could be bad or have a bad connection . Commonly when the 525 code is thrown with 534 for idm you almost always have a low/no voltage going to the idm. Pins 8,4,23,24,25 are all power from the idm relay. You also have a fuse holder in the battery box that is 40amp that is a common issue for melting or shorting. check for that.

Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

the first thing i checked was all the fuses, relays & power cables and there all ok, back to my question how can the idm send voltage as high as 120 volts? when the engine is running at idle the voltage rapidly goes up and down from low voltage up to 120 volts. i checked resistance on all injectors and there all about 0.7 ohms

Hi, sorry for any confusion, So you tested the supply voltage with a volt meter to the IDM and the voltage is consistant with battery and charging system supply voltage and the IDM relay and other checks for supply power and the grounds all test good. If that is true and you are seeing fluctuating voltage as you describe, your IDM is shorted internally and has internal problems needing replacement...So to simplify.... If you have those faults and supply voltage is good and from the IDM relay but out put voltage for the injectors is as you described, Replace the failed IDM.

Daniel Wilson
Dan, I checked again at the idm connector and now I got no power there. I jumped out the power relay & still no power at the X-3 connector, all ground pin numbers & fuses are good. Where is the 12 pin connector that is shown on the wiring diagram located?
could you please answer my last question

Can you upload the diagram you are referring to? Im not an employee of the site so there may be times om on the road on a call or in the shop and even with my family time to time.

One 12 pin is connected to the IDM and another goes though the cab as a bulkhead connector if these are what you are referring to.

Let me know if you need more help

the diagram I,m using is International control system diagnostics, beginning of 2004 model year dt466, dt570 & ht570
Dan I had the relay jumped wrong, I jumped it correctly and got good power on all the pins you told me to check at the IDM connector, plugged everything back in except the IDM relay (left it jumped) started up and still same problem running rough, black smoke & high voltage at the injectors, over 100 volts, have you ever heard of replacing the IDM bottom board for this problem?

It is called a half shell... The ECM and IDM can be replaced separately. If you have bad injector drivers you can get a half shell

could bad drivers cause too high of voltage to the injectors and that causing over fueling making black smoke?

If the input voltage is only 12 volts and the IDM is doubling output voltage or erratic then it could damage the injectors and also cause overfueling.... Check the turbo is okay and no boost leaks causing low turbo boost as well.

the voltage is very erratic & the turbo was one of the initial things I checked and all is OK there, the last time I checked the resistance on all the injectors they were all the same as the new one I have, so I hope there still good.

Understood. That at least sounds promising that the resistance is in line with the new one and others.