Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

How do you pin the engine on a L185. New Holland L185,

How do you pin...

How do you pin the engine on a L185

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

New Holland L185, N7M464708

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we need to pin the engine at TDC, to re install the injection pump. The Pump blew up internally.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No Just need to pin the engine at TDC

11/17/2017
Daniel Wilson

Hi my name is***** can follow up as needed. Please post the engine tag information from the engine ID tag.

Engine type F4CE0354A*D601
ENG. Family F4CE22B00C
S/N (###) ###-####
ENGINE TYPE F4CE0354A*D601
ENG. FAMILY F4CE22B00C
ENG. S/N (###) ###-####

Thanks for the info. Give me some time to pull up some info for you.

Is this the CP3 pump?

CP3 HIGH PRESSURE PUMP

Pumpprovidedwith3 radial pumping elements driven by the timing system gear, no need of timing. The mechanical feeding pump driven by the high pressure pump’s shaft is assembled to the rear side of the high pressure pump.

Common rail

The common rail fuel system for this engine model is not timed but the Bosh pump is. On the back of the timing cover some engines have a plastic push in timing pin that engages a hole in the gear while using an engine pinion gear barring tool to rotate the engine by hand with hand tools until it engages the hole and then verify the rocker arms are both loose on #1 TDC

When no plastic timing pin is on the engine there is a tool that gets put in place of #1 injector that dial indicates TDC position on #1 that is in shape of a dummy injector. Let me know which one you have.

The engine manual gives more than one option of fuel system for this model engine.

It is not a high pressure pump or a common rail system.
There is an injection pump with lines to each injector.
can you tell me were the location of the timing pin is on this engine.

See the lower right of the picture... it will look like that if you have it...

ok I wont know until Monday when the mechanic working on it is back to work.

Sounds good. We can follow up then. Have a great weekend.

Thanks you too

Thank you

Hi, Did you get this resolved? Please take a moment to rate as that is how the site credits my time helping on the site or let me know if you need more help. 5 star and bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

No the pictures you sent didn't resolve the question asked. I need to know were the timing indicator is located to get the engine back in time.

Click this link.

Troubleshooting

No Good, the anti virus software has detected a problem and wont down load the file.
If at all possible send as a pdf
OK, thank you, ***** ***** are working on a 3 cyl, engine and the cover said 4 cyl.
Are they the same procedure?

Yes the F4CE is covered in that manual...

I was unsuccessful in downloading the file. I will get my IT guy to do it for me.

Okay... keep me posted on it

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson