Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

What can cause the Isuzu-npr-hd Box truck to to go into the…

Customer Question
What can cause the...

What can cause the Isuzu-npr-hd Box truck to to go into the regeneration cycle several times during a short trip. thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

My Isuzu box truck goes through the regeneration process very often and very rapidly , what causes this problem. thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, we have had it checked and some repairs made at a Disel Engine shop. They suggested having the burner removed sent off and burned-out or cleaned to like new condition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so. thanks

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/14/2017
Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 9 months ago
Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience: International and Isuzu trucks , International, Maxxforce, Cummins and Isuzu engines, Diagnostic and electrical troubleshooting specialist , Hvac and truck /trailer refrigeration troubleshooter
Hi there . My name is***** regeneration can be caused by and engine not operating as designed . So, if running a little underpowered or sluggish, this causes more black smoke coming out of engine that the after treatment has to take care of .
Also , something else that can cause frequent regens is if you are near the maintenance interval to have the dpf removed and clean out all the ash content in the cells . A Dpf that is full of ash won't have much room anymore for soot from the engine to accumulate in there until the next Regen. So if it has no room to store , it will Regen more often .
Thanks, ***** ***** the Dpf if no charge for answer please.

The DPF is the short form for Diesel Particulate Filter. This is mounted in the exhaust under the truck . It traps all the soot inside it . When it gets full , diesel fuel is sprayed into the exhaust to react with the Diesel Oxydation Catalyst just before the DPF . This raises the temperature over 1000 F to cook the soot and turn it into harmless gas and ash . The ash is trapped but the harmless gas passes through the filter.

Once there is too much ash content inside the DPF , usually around 200000 miles ( depending on application ) , it is time to pull the DPF and clean all the ash out of it - then it can be re-installed if it is still good to reuse ( no cracks in the material)

Please do not forget to rate my service to you and accept my answer. This is the only way that I am rewarded for my time and efforts on here . Thanks .

Technician: Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician replied 8 months ago

Hey there! Did I do something wrong? Please do not forget to rate my service to you ! I receive nothing otherwise for helping you out. Thanks. Let me know if you still need help !