Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have Truck Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Medium and Heavy Trucks

1994 gmc c6000 topkick 6.0 366 at545 allison. Coming home

Customer Question
yesterday and turned into my...
1994 gmc c6000 topkick 6.0 366 at545 allison. Coming home yesterday and turned into my driveway and it stopped moving. Turned off and started back up and it started in reverse. Got it back to the shop and now it wont go into any gear. Shifter moves linkage on tranny and i disconnected cable to make sure it wasnt broke and it clicks into each gear but will not do anything. Fluid is good no shavings that i can see.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Technician: roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks replied 1 month ago
roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

is the park/neutral switch on the outside of the trans by the linkage???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One of the wires on it is broken will that cause it to not go in gear?

thats where I would start. very common failure for that to fail and when it does, it will not allow it to engage into gear. it is also the reason for starting in reverse.

yes it will, repair that first. it has to have the proper signal to engage gears.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok fixed that sensor and still the same not engaging
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got reverse back though but park reverse and neutral on the shifter is reverse

still not registering right??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No shifter is moving and like i said when its in park reverse or neutral it is in reverse gear and when i put it in drive it feels like neutral

ok need the neutral safety switch. you will need to replace it.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We must think alike lol while i was waiting on your response i swapped the switch out with a known good switch from another truck we have and no change

ok I am going to need a little time to find a diagram for you on this. bear with me

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problem thanks!

are you talking about the small chunks??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea smells pretty burnt looks good on the dipstick im hoping this is just the filter doing its job no big chunks but when i rub it between my fingers you can feel some small pieces

clutch material.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You think thats the problem or is this normal. Trans is only 1.5 years old

not that bad. not normal wear but not enough to give you this issue. I think you have a wire harness issue here. check the main connector for the trans harness and see if there is trans fluid in the connector.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok will do is there a fuse for the transmission?

check the connector for any power. should be a 12 volt feed to the solenoids

Roy

was there any issues prior to this issue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Connector look good but this transmission doesnt have solenoids it is controlled by a vaccum modulator valve only thing electric is speed sensor, n.s.s and reverse switch.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nope never had any problems just happened all of a sudden

ok thanks.

check for any fluid in the vacuum line at the modulator.

the fact that the gears are reading wrong even with another switch leans toward a wire harness issue somewhere.

My friend at Allison tells me that he thinks there is an internal issue with the trans. he reccomends changing the oil/filter and see if it goes into gear.

Roy

roybelding
roybelding