Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Farmall M. 1944 s/n M82262x1,,,,, 6volt battery ignition, 4…

Customer Question
Farmall...

Farmall M

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1944 s/n M82262x1,,,,, 6volt battery ignition, 4 position 4 click light and charge switch, cut out relay with 3 tabs(bat,F, and one unmarked Gor L,, I bought it used and think that some one changed it to battery ignition using the existing cut out relay and 4 position light and charging switch. I need to verify the system for operating correctly charginh the battery... currently does not charge . and verify the wiring connections between the light switch , gen and cut out relay for this configuration.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

This should do it .

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/13/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

I see all kinds of diagrams on internet, but this seems to be a good one. Linked above. Be sure the generator/regulaotr is polarized, or it will not charge.

I had this diagram and it has 4 tabs on the regulator ,,, mine is a cut out relay with 3 tabs (batt, F , and one unmarked I think its L).

Field controls the charge, the armature post on the generator is the output and has to go to cutout relay. And the L is the load, which goes to the ampmeter. Do you have any output from generator above battery voltage? Is tractor still posiitve ground?

its positive ground and no input to battery when running..... tractor off 6.05 volts at battery,,, tractor running vollts at battery jumps from 6.00 to 5.xx to 6.xx does not provide a specific voltage from generator.

Have you polarized the system?

http://fergusontractors.org/nfs/wp-content/uploads/technical-articles/Polarizing-a-Generator.pdf

lets go back a step,,,,, I'm looking for the correct wiring first... then I will re polarize and check all the connections for grounds, contacts ,,,voltage readings etc...
Basically: I have a ampmeter with two terminals....... how can i determine which is + and which is -? does the Neg from the battery go to the neg on the ampmeter and all other wires use the positive terminal of the ampmeter? I will take care of all the light wires later.....just need the connections from the switche to the battery and from the sitche to the relay and generator. something like......on a positive ground system, the neg battery post connects to the neg term of the ampmeter.. only... the positive term from the ampmeter connects to the "batt " term of the relay(and othe loads),, the "GEN" terminal of the relay connects to the "A" terminal of the generator, The "F"terminal of the relay connects to the "F" terminal of the Generator......with these connections, it will charge the battery if all connection are good.
sorry about my fat finger typing.... The switch in my above note means from the ampmeter in with all the switches....

Ammeter will just read backward , if wires are wrong, swap wire and it will read correct in other direction.