Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

I am operating a SkidSteer with an auger. 3 days ago we

Customer Question
I am operating a...

I am operating a SkidSteer with an auger. 3 days ago we changed the diesel tank, as it was leaking. It seem to work fine, but then, after probably less than one hour, the machine stopped working. Particularly when going uphill and/or engaging the hydraulics of the auger. It will work flat out, and then go down and not work anymore. Wait for a while and will get back to it. Any simple reason or handling for such behaviour?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you. I am ready to read...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

We have changed the pump that takes the diesel and seemed to work way better (as well as the filter), but when testing it again, while the auger will work at top speed, when completing one of the holes just stopped and I had to restart. In other words, working at half gas, the machine sounds fine, but when everything is engaged goes down as if starving for fuel.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
11/13/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Starving for fuel! Has restriction at he line from the tank , to the first filter/strainer. Remove the line at the first filter connection and cook for debris , where it would have come from tank, and will not enter the filter.

Thank you, ***** ***** My name is*****ópez.

This is the most likley the place restriction will occur.

Thank you. But the line from the tank to the pump is totally clear of debris. We changed the filter and put a new 12 v pump. And that seemed to work very well. The problem comes when I go full throttle for a while. I suspect there may be another obstruction somewhere else, but not on that line, that I can see.

You checked the fitting in the filter housing?

Restriction has to be before the priming pump, or your electric pump. After the pump, the fuel is under pressure.

I checked the fitting (we changed the filter and tighten the connections.)The problem is that the motor works well, the diesel goes fine, absolutely smooth. When I engage the hydraulics (for a while) I.e., I was able to dig a 40 inches deep hole (24 inches diameter) in a relatively soft ground... going full throttle at the end of it. When I was doing the last clean up, the motor stopped. Then started again and was working fine, until it stopped again.

Quick test is to make test line and attach to the electric pump and drop it into the fuel tank filler opening and run test.

Sorry, I am not getting this test. Could you elaborate it a bit or explain it to me on "dummy" terms?

You want to bypass the tank outlet and the lines up to the transfer pump or electric pump.

You mean, getting the pump sucking directly from the tank? If I am getting that right, how do I do that? Do we take the tube with the 5 phillips screws off or am I totally off the mark?

That is the suction side of the fuel system. Th e fuel transfer pump/your electric pump, is the beginning of the pressure side of the system.

You just need a test line to attach to the pump, and drop it into the fuel tank filler opening, or a separate fuel container.

Okay, I think I get it.
It is getting a bit late for me, and I would like to do these tests tomorrow in the morning. Could this question remain open and conclude it tomorrow, when I am able to do these test and see if that works?

Sure, leave question open, and use link in your email to get back here,

Okay, Mr. Curtis. Thank you for your communication and I'll get to you tomorrow morning (would 8 or 9 in the morning be fine with you?)

That's fine, I will be here!

Great, thanks!

Good night!